Mystery Strain - First Time Ever Growing Weed - OUTDOOR FLORIDA GROW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Mystery Strain - First Time Ever Growing Weed - OUTDOOR FLORIDA GROW

I recently moved from New York City to Florida and finally moved out of my 400 sq. foot studio into an actual house with a yard, LOL. One of the first things I knew I wanted to do was try my hand at growing.
    I've been smoking for decades, but never tried to grow, although I'm a green thumb and love plants.

I had a baggie of seeds I'd been saving from seeds that would come in the weed I'd buy. It was a mixed bag of THC and CBD plant seeds, all different strains. I know there was a Blue Dream seed in there, I think a Blue Cookies, Purple Punch, and some other random strains. There were also a lot of seeds from CBD I was buying.

I took all the seeds and sprouted them in paper towels. Out of 13 seeds that germinated, only 2 grew into plants. We got 5 days of rain soon after I had seeded them into small pots, and I'm pretty sure the water drowned out all but two of the strongest plants.

They started growing and the one that turned into the female was a little weaker at first. The one that turned out to be a male took off quickly. Thank God I did enough research to know that there are male and female plants and that it's really important to keep the boys away from the girls! Once I saw his little nuts coming out, I cut him down and then focused my attention on what I now knew was a female plant.

That's how little research I'd done into this topic before. I didn't even know only females produced buds!

So from 13 sprouts, I was down to one plant. I didn't buy these seeds, these were just seeds I'd collected. I was determined to learn more and make this plant survive and thrive to the best of my abilities!

I search Amazon Prime for cannabis documentaries and found this one called 50Gs in my Backyard about a Detroit grower who made 50 Gs a harvest growing plants in a small backyard plot. I started looking on YouTube. And then HALLELUJIAH I found this site.

I think she's about 3 weeks or so to harvest. I repotted her twice, from the tiny peat pot I started her in to a 1-gallon container to a fabric 5-gallon pot. I have only fed her Fox Farm fertilizer and even then, only after she started flowering. I think she may be small because I didn't give her supplemental nutrients during veg, unless you count houseplant fertilizer spikes. That's literally all I had on hand! In Florida, buying fertilizer in banned during the summer months, and I literally had no idea what I was doing! I had only ever grown houseplants before, but I always had good luck with them. I followed my instincts with trimming her to produce bushier growth and watering schedule, before doing any research.

She's potted in regular Miracle Grow potting soil. Now I know I can do much better, adding perlite and other ingredients. Next time!

Anyway, needless to say, I've learned a lot and feel far better prepared for my next grow.

I still have SO many questions like...
    - will this plant create seeds that I can collect and grow?
    - is there any way to test or tell what strain this could be? I guess only thru expensive genetic testing...
    - how young can the plants be before you start adding nutrients?
    - how early and often to trim?
    - could it be dangerous to smoke a mystery strain? Please say no...

Based on what I've learned since I started this project, my guess is this is an auto-flower. She is small, and probably even smaller because I didn't give her the best I could have during early seedling and veg stages, and she started flowering about 3-4 weeks in. She has been grown 100% outdoors in South Florida and kept indoors overnight in a dark room. She probably hasn't had an even 12/12 at any stage of her life, but she's still doing well.

I feel blessed that I got all this from a random seed and a "let's see what happens" attitude when I sprouted that baggie of seeds in paper towels. Who knew?! Now I want to become a competent grower and try new varieties, new growing conditions, maybe even an indoor grow!

For the vets out there, what are your suggestions about how I can progress from here? Nothing complex about this grow. I literally treated her like a houseplant until she started to flower then I was like WOAH NELLY, let's do some research.

I was looking at that kit A Pot for Pot and thought that might be a step up for me, although seems like what you are paying for is soil, amendments, and marketing LOL. Maybe I don't need that. I have no idea what lights to buy if I decide to move my next grow indoors. I think one plant at a time is about my speed.

I love Sativa-dominant hybrids and I'm hoping she came from a seed of Cookies or something because I was smoking a lot of Cookies up north before I moved to Florida.

Thanks for reading my story and accepting me here as a total noob grower! This site and community is super inspirational and I have learned so much hanging out on this site and forum.

I still have SO many questions like...
    - will this plant create seeds that I can collect and grow?
    - is there any way to test or tell what strain this could be? I guess only thru expensive genetic testing...
    - how young can the plants be before you start adding nutrients?
    - how early and often to trim?
    - could it be dangerous to smoke a mystery strain? Please say no...

First, if you had to change light to 12/12 to make it flower it’s not an auto.
    This plant shouldn’t have seeds being a non pollinated female but I seen on here most anything is possible.
    No way to tell strain. Looks sativa to my untrained eye from the skinny leaves but that’s about all I think you can tell.
    I’ll let someone with more knowledge weigh in on the nutes and trimming.
    Not dangerous to smoke unless you put something on it to make it that way.
    Welcome, good luck and happy growing.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X