Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total newbie starting first grow this week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total newbie starting first grow this week!

Hello all. Been reading through the forums but had a few questions I'm hoping you wise, high folks can help with. I'm sure there will be MANY more as I get going but would appreciate any insight so I can have a successful first grow (I hope)! Aiming for 1, maybe 2 plants at a time.

Setup: 24x24x55 tent, Marsh Hydro TS600 LED, inline duct fan, TaoTronic humidifier, clip on 6" fan.
    Materials: 5 gallon bags, FoxFarm Ocean Forest Organic soil (70%), Perlite(30%), General Hydroponics Flora Grown, Bloom and Micro, Cal-Mag, ph and ppm meter
    Seeds: White Widow Fem
    Lighting: 18/6 for veg, 12/12 for flowering
    Light distance from plant: 30-36" for seedlings, 30-32" for veg, 18-22" for bloom

Now for a few questions!
    1) Additions/modifications to any of the above?
    2) I know there can be variants based on the plant, but, is there a good schedule of when to water and how much?
    3) I've seen lots about the measurements for the GH nutrients. How much would I give 1 plant for each feeding? Do they get the whole gallon?
    4) Should they get plain water along with nutrients?
    5) The white widow can grow around 39-51", should I flip when it reaches a certain height? I know it shouldn't get too close to the light.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more but really appreciate any advice from those who know so much! Much appreciated.
    Last edited by CyberK; 12-10-2020, 08:39 AM.

Welcome, I am a newbie too, about to harvest my first grow. I used DWC so can’t help with your watering questions. I would recommend that you read up on plant training because you will have to be careful not to let it get too close to the light. I liked the LBT SCROG tutorial on this site.

Good Luck

Comment

Welcome! Its a fun hobby and you sound like you have done great research already.

1- When you monitor your temp, its good to have one at the canopy level and then another one in the tent too. You'll also want to monitor the humidity. Accu rite makes a unit than can be found on Amazon for $7. You'll also want something to check the Ph of your input water / feed. There are many pens out there to do this, or you can use drops like General Hydroponics makes.

2- Your watering amount and frequency will increase as the plant grows and developed a root mass. More roots and more leaves means it can transpire more, so you'll be feeding it more. A common mistake for beginners is to over water a young seedling. I encourage people to start in small containers, build the roots and then transfer to the final pot. Small containers or solo cups make it easier to keep the water / oxygen levels proper in the soil for new seedlings. General rule - if you fully saturate the pot with water, lift it and get a feel for it. Then, when the pot weighs half of that weight, it can use more water. Leaves dropping will also be a sign that you waited a little too long if dry. Over wet leaves can droop too, refer to soil surface to determine if it is a wet or dry droop.

3- It's easiest to make a mix by the gallon, but that doesn't mean the plant will need the whole gallon. It's a dilution ratio you are trying to hit. With FFOF, it's good to water until you get about 10% run-off.

4- That FFOF has amendments in it already, so they typically don't need food for at least three weeks. After that, feed at a reduced portion, use 1/4 strength the first feed and then eventually move it to a half feed. If you start seeing any deficiencies, you can go full strength with it but only after the plant has grown some and has a decent root mass.

5- Plants can stretch to twice their veg size. So when you are almost halfway to the max room you have, that would be a good tie to flip. Don't forget to add in the distance you need between the light and the canopy.

Enjoy the journey!

Comment

5 bags in a 24x24 will get pretty crowded by week 3. I tend to flip not when they're half as big as they could be, but about half of what I want them to be. Watering and tending is more diff in a small crowded space. I like to be able to move them around just to check on em, defoliate, check for bugs, etc. If you veg less you'll harvest sooner and can start your next one sooner as well.
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Really appreciate the feedback, very helpful. I do have a ph and ppm meter as I did read that is very important. Thank Gluteous, I was only going to try for 1, maybe 2 plants in the tent

Comment

• Gluteous
            Gluteous commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect. That's the way to start out!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X