Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few bubble DWC questions

Hello all,

New to this, starting out first time. Have a few questions here..

1) When using a water pump to pump water with top fed system, i see in the tutorial it is used a 6 way drip manifold. I'm guessing if I'm going to be growing one per bucket, I dont need a drip manifold, but can rather just put a drip thingy on the end of the hose that is right next to the rapid rooter correct?

2) Also how much should the hose drip water, because somewhere I read that the plant needs wet/dry cycles, but here If we do a top fed system, it is always getting wet and it will soak it. So is it ok to soak it, and the dry part will be taken from the roots between the water in the reservoir and the bottom of the pot? I'm not sure if I understood this correct.

Thanks for your time!

I'd like you to think about a garden hose with spray nozzle on it. If you restrict the opening it increases the pressure of spray that is why I see the use of a manifold necessary. You don't want to bore a hole through the roots or starter cube / puck. I have set where the feed tubes come into the baskets lower and lower as I revise my setups due to top layer of clay pebbles being moister than I want. I also use 1 of the feed lines shown in picture to get a sample for checking PH, at first I did just the tie off to the the air hose but found the addition of the zip tie keeps it where I want it. When I first set the seedling I only run the pump twice a day (while doing PH checks) to keep everything moist (I'm not taking samples from tube at this point). Once I start seeing roots coming out of the baskets I run it 24/7 due to early on the roots appeared to start drying out hanging between the basket and solution. Also BIGGER is not necessarily better I have 8 to 10 97 GPH H2O pumps and 1 larger one that pushed the vial out of my grasp when taking a sample.
    As for the dry period your asking about I believe that's for soil grows, in hydro the roots get their oxygen from the aerated solution and why there is the necessity of air pump and air stones.

Comment

Howdy teddysx3, I am now on my tenth grow using a 'Bubblephonics' set up. The drip lines (they do not have to be drips, they can run a stream) should be at the bottom of the rooter plug and not the top as this will keep the plug too wet and could cause mold and algae to grow on it. The function of the drip line is to 'train' the developing roots to grow down into the reservoir, Once the roots are well established in the reservoir, the pump may be turned off or switched to timed schedule. Leaving the pump running continuously will help to keep the nutrients circulating and evenly distributed throughout the reservoir.
      The DIG-6 outlet manifold (used in a Bubblephonics) is to allow an even flow of water to the six 3 3/4 inch net pots in the top of the tote. If You do not want to use the manifold, a 'tee' should be in line to prevent too much flow to the rooter plug, or an adjustable flow valve should be used to control the flow to the plug. One other thing, do not use clear tubing any where it will or can be exposed to the light as it will act as a conduit and bring the light into the reservoir causing problems with algae growth (root rot!).
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

DW2 and Poppa, THANKS! I really appreciate your advice from the pros! I bought a clear hose, and didn't think that through, now I'm going to get a black one.

For the end hose that will drip, I will defiantly put a drip valve, that I can regulate. So do you suggest it to drip slowly, or a little faster drip will not hurt anything?

Also If I'm not going to use the 6 drip manifold, I presume I do not need a such powerful water pump as in the tutorial, if I'm going to use it only for one pot, I can get a 6 times less powerful pump than the one in the tutorial?

Thanks guys!

Comment

• Poppa
          Poppa commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm no Pro I only started growing February of 2019 so I try to only speak to what I've learned or experienced so far. Don't throw out the clear tubing. I was getting low on tubing so hit up the grow shop I use but they only had clear left and would be a couple of days before they got restocked so I got the clear. Knowing the light transfer factor I have been using the clear for most of the lines that are inside of my totes until it's gone and black for any outside of the totes. I can't help on the pump hopefully another member can address that for you.

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          The clear tubing is only a 'hazard' if it is exposed to the light, if it is wholly contained inside of the reservoir, out of the light then it should pose no risk. In my setup, I use the manifold and get a stream out of each line and I have been using a 127 GPH pump, The flow control valve is a good idea and a small volum pump would probably work just fine.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X