Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - Nitrogen toxicity in Nature's Living soil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL HELP - Nitrogen toxicity in Nature's Living soil?

Hi all,
    I am in week 5 of an auto-flower grow (week 2 of flower) using Nature's Living soil (auto-flower mix). I am running 5 plants of different strains (Fastberry, Critical Auto, White Widow, Blue Mystic and Crystal Meth) in 5 gallon fabric pots. The soil mix is 1 lb of the super soil concentrate mixed with Fox Farm Ocean Forest in the bottom 1/3 of the pot and the rest is plain FFOF. The plants are all getting EC 140 µS water at pH between 6.2 and 6.5. All plants seem to be thriving and on their way to some nice looking colas with the exception of the Crystal Meth plant which (steady yourself) looks like this:

It looks to me like a text book case of nitrogen toxicity. In fact, the strain description by FastBuds even specifically mentions a sensitivity to nitrogen. I am not over watering the plant at all. In fact I might have under watered slightly in the beginning which, if this is what I think it is, might have contributed to the problem. I am new to the super soil approach and not sure what to do. I tried giving the plant a couple of flushes but it seems to not be absorbing as much water as you would expect and the pot stays pretty heavy for days. If I were using bottled nutrients this would probably have fixed the issue but so far no real change.

Anybody have any idea how I should proceed. I think the plant is recoverable (no actual leaf death yet) but whatever I do it's going to have to be soon. Any help would be really appreciated.

Wow, not a happy girl! It does look like nitrogen toxicity, or over-water but you've covered that. If it doesn't like what it's growing in you should consider transplanting into soil with much less nitrogen, maybe Happy Frog. Except it's an auto, so you're up against the clock.
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Thanks for the input, I think you're right. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to that! I might try one more flush and if that doesn't turn it around I guess I'll bite the bullet and transplant.

I'm actually running two parallel grows where the other group are the same 5 strains in plain FFOF soil (with extra perlite). The Crystal Meth plant in the other group is doing fine. I did this to compare super soil with the regular soil approach I was successful with before. So far, all plants, in both groups are looking equally good (except for the one problem child). I am coming to the conclusion that, for autos anyway, using super soil works but can also be a crap-shoot and if you're going that route you had better make sure that the strain(s) you are growing can handle it.

Good luck with your grow!

Comment

That one could have some root issues. If you transplanted that one once already it could have gotten some damage or kinked roots. Hopefully another will work out
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X