Younger leaves curling upward; older leaves have rusty spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Younger leaves curling upward; older leaves have rusty spots

I'm growing Orange Crush, Tora Bora, and Canna-Tsu, DWC in 5gal buckets, 1200W LED. They get Flora Trio nutrients and Hydroguard (weekly water changes). I had some nutrient burn on Tora Bora and Canna-Tsu a couple weeks ago, but it didn't advance after I reduced the nutrient concentration by about 20%. I'm 9wks into bloom cycle, getting close-ish to harvest!

Two leaf problems that I can't figure out from the tutorials:

1) Younger leaves on Orange Crush and Canna-Tsu are curling upward on the inner/lower margins (closest to the petioles); worse on lower growth tips. I have no idea what this could be; there have been no substantial recent changes in light, temp, humidity, or air circulation. This started less than a week ago and got bad pretty quick on Orange Crush. Curling leaves are healthy rich green, not thin or brittle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC4ECCE8-4F90-41EC-B745-C88AF29656FD.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	467555

2) Older leaves on Canna-Tsu have had some pale/rusty specks for a while (since mid-Sept), and they've just been gradually increasing. Under a hand lens, there definitely aren't any pests or mold on top or bottom of the leaves. Affected leaves feel slightly brittle. I am wondering if this is another symptom of nutrient burn, showing up more gradually? They also had four days of cooler temps (55-65°F) at the end of October, but didn't seem harmed immediately after. I'm not super worried about this, because it's so slow and minor, mostly just curious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1B034D19-9099-4044-83C7-80B1FF9ECEE4.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	467556

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by QueerHobbit; 11-15-2020, 02:07 AM. Reason: Took better photos, added notes abt leaf texture
    growing for fun & medicine ~ 4x4x8 tent ~ two 600W Phlizon LEDs ~ DWC 5gal buckets, Flora Trio + HydroGuard

Can't tell anything from the photos. Can you post some under better light?
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Added some new photos with flash, let me know if those are sufficient! If not I can set up a clip light.
      growing for fun & medicine ~ 4x4x8 tent ~ two 600W Phlizon LEDs ~ DWC 5gal buckets, Flora Trio + HydroGuard

Comment

Whats the PH?

Comment

I vary it between 5.5 and 6.5 typically. This week it's been at about 5.5.

Comment

I don't know man. That leaf pic sure looks like pest damage but you'd see that under magnification. Sounds like you're close to chop so just ride it out I guess.
            Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

I checked with my bro and he said it's actually pretty normal for leaves to go curly close to harvest ~ I googled it and sure enough, a bunch of "ready to harvest" images have leaves curled up really similarly to mine. *shrug* Live and learn!

Still not sure about the speckling, you're right that it looks a helluva lot like pest damage. But like you said, I'm pretty close to harvest so I'm just gonna wait it out!

Comment

I had some mystery spotting on otherwise healthy plants. I looked broadly at where the spots were then noticed that all the spots were along the path of an oscillating fan that was pointed too low! I'm glad I didn't freak out and start adding crap to the water that they didn't need.
                Coconut Grove
                4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

That Canna-Tsu looks an awful lot like my plants did when I had spider mites. I checked and rechecked, thought it was from my light being to low and after I was sure everything else was in order I was scanning over leaves one day. I thought this tiny spec was just a piece of my soil that got on the leaf and as my thumb got really close to it it moved just a tiny bit. I broke out my microscope that I connect to my phone ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and sure as can be it was spider mites.

EDIT: It could also be Cal/Mag deficiency if the leaves are newer growth and in the light but the leaves that aren't as exposed to light are doing good.
                  Last edited by BudzPow; 11-20-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I had an infestation of Thrips last grow and the leaves looked exactly like yours. The bugs are tiny and mobile so you might have a hard time seeing them.

Here's the GWE article:
                    If you see tiny, wormy little bugs, dark winged insects or bronzed discoloration on the leaves, you may have thrips. Learn how to get rid of them!

I nuked them with permethrin but there are other treatments.

Good Luck,

-Grouchy
                    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Do look them over with a 30x zoom lens, curling leaves are often bugs.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X