Harvest Timing Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Timing Issues

I read that it's a good idea to leave plants in darkness for a while before harvesting, so I turned off my lights a few days ago, thinking that the buds would be mature enough to harvest by now. The buds still look like they still need more time. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I leave the lights off, turn them back on, harvest a little early?

If lights were off, its better than the lights being on. I will only turn the lights off for 24-48 once I have confirmed the plant is ready through looking at the trichomes. If yours aren't ready yet, continue with your 12/12 on the regular schedule.

Comment

Did you not check if they were ready before turning the lights off?

Comment

• Basic
        Basic commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a little confusing. They looked sugary enough, but there were only about fifty percent red pistils. According to the seed supplier this strain is supposed to be ready at the end of week seven and I'm at the end of week eight, so I'm not really sure which indicator I should be going by. I read that you could let them cruise in the dark for a full week, so I hoped they'd get more red pistils in that time.

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        Pistils can be misleading. Some strains turn brown and withdraw earlier than others, but the best thing to be checking for plant maturity is the trichomes on the calyx (buds). That is the most accurate way of telling when the plant is ripe and ready for harvest. If you get a jewelers loupe or have a crisp camera, you can look at the trichome heads. The general guideline is to harvest when you have 10% clear, 80% milky and 10% amber trichome heads. Once you get a few harvests under your belt, you may develop your own preference for the %'s, but the above is the general consensus.

• MagicMike66
        MagicMike66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Get yourself a cheap jewellers loupe and look at the trichromes next time. Easiest way to tell if they’re ready or not.

Do you turn the lights off for 24-48 hours with auto flowers too or just photos?
      Vivosun 5x3 tent, AC Infinity T6 fan, Vivosun carbon filter,5 gallon fabric pots, coco-coir, 600watt Vivosun MH/HPS

Comment

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        It's kind of a bro science thing that has been said to increase trichomes / cannabinoids. Not sure if there is solid documentation for it, but I do it anyways. Night time gives the plant a chance to rest. I don't see why this process would be different for photos and autos. So I assume autos would have the same benefit.

• 420Cndee
        420Cndee commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok thank you for the info!

Basic Happy growing. I have done it both ways, honestly I could not tell any difference. By giving them cooler temperatures at night toward the end will bring out more color. I have given them 24 to 48 hours of Darkness then Change my mind And decided to put them back in the light another week or so it did not hurt them a bit.
      For me , the hardest part of growing weed Is cutting your babies. Often I invent a reason to cut them. I look at them so close And convinced myself I saw a speck of mold or Bud rot. They say if they grow too long gives them more of a narcotic effect ain't that what we're all looking for.
      Perpetual Harvests
      Set up: 6 x 6 Grow room https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...lies/smile.png [ Home made],2-spyder farmer,3 best VA. 12/12 Flowering...4X4 tent,18hours light for Autos and starting photos in veg. 2 mars hydro.
      Bonsai clones & feminized Started to move outdoors in season.
      2 Exhaust fans -- 3 Circulate intake fans. as needed, all wide open currently. Potting soil Mixed with homemade organic, perlite, peat moss, Worm castings.

“On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations” (Revelation 22:2).

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X