Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Females from 4 Bagseeds - Fantastic Luck or Epic Slow-Mo Grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Females from 4 Bagseeds - Fantastic Luck or Epic Slow-Mo Grow?

QUESTION / THEORY: Will a super slow vegetative growth stage encourage the chances of producing females from seeds that have not been feminized.

What are the chances of having 4 females from 4 bagseeds? - 2 Dark & 2 Blond and possibly from 2 different sources.

I was hoping for at least 1 female and would have been thrilled with 2, but all 4 are definitely female and just began their flowering stage in mid-OCTOBER.

Quick background: I decided to finally give growing a try and planted the 4 seeds on MAY 10th. The pandemic put me on a tight budget with tons of new free time & I was lucky enough to have most of the necessaries lying about.

Yep, I´m a total Newbie (who´s learned a lot from this site), but it seems to me that the low-watt CFL grow light and then bare bones nutrients on top of that were the main reasons for my slo-mo grow.

Regarding some of the other factors, I´ve felt pretty good about my watering, pH levels, soil and temperatures. °I now have workable nutrients, a 3000k CFL & reasonably trained canopy for the flowering stage.°

Regarding the containers, the roots must be feeling pretty snug by now, but that would be a more recent issue. °I´ve got a decent "no transplant" solution that I may resort to.°

I had a bout of fungus gnats, but solved that and then had a new problem with thrips, which I´ve nearly eradicated. (YIKES! At the beginning of the flowering)

What do you think? COULD a slo-mo grow improve, or even nearly ensure, the chances of seedlings from bag seeds turning out to be female?

°Or was it just luck?°

And yep, I totally get the whole "why would anyone want to grow that slow?" thing.

M.

(The picture is around 10 days old)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_121368.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	462322
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GrowBabiesGrow; 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM.

The chance of feminized seed from bag is good as many growers use feminized seed then get a hermie which makes female pollen and boom a few female only seed in the bud you just bought.
    Thing is you will need to watch for hermies, in most its not to bad. I had 6 out of 6 hermie from bag seed.

Comment

• GrowBabiesGrow
      GrowBabiesGrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information! I wasn´t sure if feminized seeds could pass their gender on. I´ll check out some example pics of "hermies" to compare to my girls.
      Last edited by GrowBabiesGrow; 10-24-2020, 04:36 PM.

Those spots on the leaves don't look so good. I would look under the leaves for bugs. The spots should not be there on a healthy plant.

Comment

• GrowBabiesGrow
      GrowBabiesGrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks kingfish : )
      Yeah, I mentioned in my post that I´ve nearly eradicated a thrip problem. After the treatment measures that I took, I haven´t seen any activity for around 36 hours. I tailor-cut some yellow stickies to place directly on the fine, white sand that covers the top layer of soil & they´re still thrip-free. (p.s. I´m using grow bags & water from the bottom.)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X