Trimming techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming techniques

When I first harvested my outdoor grow I wet trimmed everything and hung it to dry. Now that it's dry I cut off all the fan leaves and then trimmed the buds. Figuring that once it dries a could dry trim it the rest of the way. Well this blows. My bud is so freaking sticky I can trim for about 2 minutes and then clean my snips in alcohol. They get so sticky that I can barely open them. There's gotta be a better way! Maybe only wet trim and just clean them up a bit more? What are your thoughts? What's your technique? Please help, I still have at least 10 more ounces to go.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Ah man, stuck in trim jail with a rusty spoon. Good problems, but still a pain

I use to wet trim but switched to dry. The only real reason for this is its easier for me to collect and jar the dried sugar leaves to make bubble hash with later. When wet trimmed, you still have to dry / cure the frosty sugar leaves. With dry trim, I do my trimming and then I can stuff it in a jar. I take all of the fan leaves off and lower sugar leaves with little to no trichomes before hang drying. But if it is a frosty leaf, I leave it on the plant while it hang dries.

Good luck with the trimming man, it seems to be the only time I curse at this plant.

Comment

I’m a wet trimmer.
      one reason for this is, I can cut of all the sugar leaves off. If I dry trim, all the sugar leaves are curled in, and I get a bud with more leaves, which is more harshly to smoke.
      I use a curved trimmer scissor. Much more easy than a normal scissor
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Toss those clippers in the freeze for a few minutes, the sticky will freeze and come off fairly easy, then you can save that for whatever or smoke it.
        I take off feeder leaves (fans) and leave the rest, mainly to spread out the work so my back can handle it.

Comment

I always trim with 2 sets of snips. One soaks in alcohol so it’s ready to be whipped off and used when then other gets too sticky to operate. A few grows ago I ordered a CannaBrush and it’s made trimming so much easier. I wet trim the biggest leaves that I can easily cut all the way down to their base then I leave the others to slow down the drying process. Once all those leaves are crispy dry i use the CannaBrush to knock them off then into jars.

Comment

I've recently tried a bowl trimmer. Wet or dry those things trim perfect buds in 1/10 the time. Everything is captured and contained. I know some people don't like knocking the trichs off but those things work slick and fast. And everything cut off the buds is waiting in the bowl. When not using that it's a razor blade to scrape the scissors. It's very quick and all that scissor hash goes into the little silicone container.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
              bboyfromwayback commented
              Editing a comment
              Which trimmer did you go with? I’ve been looking at them but they’re too pricey for me to just try one.

Not sure the brand. It's my son's. Don't worry he's 13 so it's ok. Just kidding, he's 49 and it's all legal here. I'm the one who was 13 lol. He paid $139 on Amazon. 18". Letting the buds dry on the stems or branches for about 4 days and then running them through the bowl works really well. It used to be a thing where the wife and I sat down at the table and trimmed them wet and hung the branches on hangers from the dining room light and make occasional trips downstairs to the drying area. We'll continue doing that with some plants but it's hard not to just slack out and use the trimmer.

Comment

The best way to get the sticky off is plain old cooking oil. Just rub it on your hands or whatever you're trying to clean.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what we do also, spray alittle no stick or rub some cooking oil on them and hands if you don't wear gloves. Just a tad on the hands.

I like taking most of the leaf off at harvest. Makes for a much easier dry trim. Tried wet trimming it all on my 1st harvest. Never again! Also have 3 sets of trimmers in rotation with the 2 not being used soaking in rubbing alcohol and swap em out frequently. Spent $150 on a bowl trimmer and it's a game changer. All the smalls go in there and they're done in no time. No kief lost.
              Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

This is a new thing for me.. A Bowl Trimmer!! Sounds like a dream...😊 Harvesting is a big pain in the ass... Any shortcuts are a blessing!!
                Cheers Y'all!!!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X