Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I lower temperature without raising humidity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I lower temperature without raising humidity?

I have a very small closet space grow, and one of the issues I have is that the grow setup is a bit too hot. I'm at a constant 75-83 Farenheit. How bad is this? Ideally I would like lower temps, especially because I'm one week into flower now. To combat this I bought a mini AC unit. It successfully lowers the temperature, but raises the humidity to 60-70%. What should I do? I purchased a dehumidifier but it's very slow, and even with it running full blast I'm still sitting at 60-70% humidity. I rarely water my plants so overwatering is not an issue, which makes me question why the humidity is so high even without the AC unit I have.

In short I feel like I have so many variables, all of which are so hard to control given I'm in a smaller grow setup. For flower, would it be better to have higher temps and lower humidity? Or lower temps and higher humidity?

Air conditioners lower humidity.

Comment

You have the tools needed, now you’ll have to experiment with your setup to find that sweet spot. I run into the same situation because the portable ac’s put a lot of moisture into the air. You’ll need to make sure you have a dehumidifier that’s big enough for your grow room, preferably one even bigger than needed. If I set the dehumidifier so the exhaust is blowing the dry air right into the tent with the ac low enough to combat the added heat I can get them both down but it’s a constant battle in the summer if you’re in a humid climate like I am. I found if I set the temp
      on the ac to 70 and put the dehumidifier exhaust right up to the air intake on my tent the temp inside the tent will be 75-77 and the humidity stays around 50% sometimes a little lower
      Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 10-22-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• coolguy122333
        coolguy122333 commented
        Editing a comment
        Any idea where I can buy a cheap dehumidifier?

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Dehumidifiers and ac’s are usually on sale this time of the year. Probably best to search online because they’re most likely not on the shelves in stores right now.

How big is the room?

Comment

Dehumidifiers usually add heat. I bought a 50 gallon and I'm glad I did. It can control your lung room or tent if it is large enough to fit inside. It's also great to have on hand for drying as well. I don't use it all year, but there are a few months where I'm glad I went with the professional, real deal kind of dehumidifier. I think I payed $250 at my local hardware store.

Smaller spaces are harder to control the environment than something larger than 5x5. Your best bet might be to control conditions in your lung room.

Comment

83 is not too hot. Raising your humidity to 70% has made things worse. Pitch the air conditioner and get a small dehumidifier because you're going to need it in flower when the lights are only on 12 hours.
          Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

I am in a condo that is using a fan coil system. Having an issue with high humidity. When AC is running RH out of vents is 65% when AC stops RH out of vents is 90%. I am guessing not reaching the dew point therefore ac turns off the air is just running over wet fan coils and blowing high humidity back in. I am running the fan on auto, however when AC is not running fan still runs at low speed. But thinking in condo fan would always have to be in for airflow. I searched this issue on the internet and read these kinds of hvaclifehack about home appliances. Does anyone know if this would likely be an issue with fan speed issue or maybe not cold enough water from the chiller?

Comment

Actually 81-83F and 71-73% is where I run mine with a bit of daily fiddling due to ambient changes. Gives me a slightly dry side of the VPD sweet spot. 1.10-1.20 or so.

But lights off all I do is limit to 80%, if I can.

Comment

I really wouldn't worry about it at this time. I have been growing all summer in a garage with very high humidity and temperatures reaching up to 85 degrees. If you are using fabric pots, give them extra water to keep the sides damp. This causes evaporation which will help cool the roots but will also increase humidity. My grow was not going well until I upped the water intake. I make sure to get 15% runoff and water every third day. I also add silicone to my water which helps the plants be more temperature resistant.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X