A few issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL A few issues.

Hi all, It's 21 days since i flipped my plants to 12/12, and i've had a problem with yellowing leaves on one Fat banana since about day 5 of flower. I originally put this down to magnesium deficiency see this post here ---> https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ium-deficiency. I tried getting calmag locally but was unable to find it so had to resort to ordering online, unfortunately i didn't pay enough of attention when ordering and so i've had to wait for a couple of weeks for delivery. In the mean time i got some epsom salts and have so far used it twice @1 tsp per 2 litres of water. I think it has helped and at least slowed it down as i had the same issue creeping in on another plant that didn't get any worse. I had gave my plants a look over last night when i gave them a feed and removed a couple of the yellowing leaves that were dying and on the verge of dropping off. I have a critical crack og that has shown no signs of deficiency until now. When i looked over my plants today i noticed that i have some yellowing on 2-3 leaves but it looks different to magnesium deficiency as the yellowing seems to be in the veins and spreading out from them. There was no sign of any yellowing yesterday when they were watered. There is also the same yellowing on my fat bananas as well today. Since i discovered i had a deficiency a couple of weeks ago i did a little research into my soil and found that it has nutrients in it that last 6 wks which would explain why i was getting nute burn with only small doses of nutes. I've not given any nutes for the last couple of weeks after getting nute burn when using bloom nute for the first time but top leaves are still showing very slight burn at the tips. I've also discovered that my soil isn't suitable for acidic loving plants. There is no info on soil packaging stating nutrient ratios or the ph of soil. i have noticed on occasion that my soil ph creeps up to just over 7 but today when i checked soil it was up to 7.5 so i have a couple of questions.
    The yellowing is happening on the lower leaves but in the case of the largest plant it is starting to work its way further up

1. What's the best way to lower my soil ph and keep it there?
    2. Could the yellowing be caused by the high soil ph or just be happening as part of the natural process of flowering and the stretch?
    3. Does it look like i might have a calcium issue too?

Below are some pics of my plants. If better pics of the leaves are needed i can add those tomorrow when lights are back on.
    3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
    Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
    Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
    Couple of fans for airflow
    First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
    Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
    Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Hey73, I try to grow in soil, I see the earlier damage, but to me your new growth looks fine.
    Of course I can't see them as good as you can.
    If they were mine I wouldn't worry about anything, less something got bad, they look fine to me.
    Your doing a great job.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Agree they look healthy.
      But it could definitely be happening because of PH is not in range.

Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

buds73 Your plants look fine. Lower fan leaves will turn yellow. As long as the sugar leaves remain in good health you'll be OK.

Comment

Just chill man, your plant is nice and healthy, yellow leaves are normal, remember, your plant is getting ready for harvest,
          Why people have to complicate simples things? 👍

Comment

Thanks for the replies it's put my mind at ease a little. Maybe i'm just over thinking things just wasn't expecting them to start yellowing yet. In the case of the plant in the first pic i've lost around 30 leaves in the last week all from the lower part of the plant. The plant in pic 5/6 only had the yellowing appear in the last 24 hrs but that does look more like the yellowing you would get during flower.
            What's the best way to lower the PH of my soil? Should i flush with water Ph at 6? I've been watering at a PH between 6.3 and 6.5

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              buds73 first it's best to start with a good neutral soil.
              They say you can lower ph in soil pretty quick using 50-50 old coffee grounds an water, but I ain't never tried it so I don't know, I use Recharge, it helps to keep your soil in the right zone.plus alot of other good stuff.
              Flushing in soil is pretty ruff on plants compared to coco, but you can do it.
              If my plants looked as nice as yours I wouldn't do nothin except to continue feeding with a lower ph like your doing.
              Flowering plants need a little lower ph than vegging plants anyway.
              Maybe that might help you a little.
              GoodLuck
              Read up on Recharge.

• buds73
              buds73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks D.A.A.S.69 I rushed into things at the beginning and made many mistakes due to lack of research (lesson learned there lol) soil being one of them. Soil is one of the things I'm looking into for my next grow which will probably be in the beginning of the new year. Had a quick read on that recharge and it might be something to look into for the next one. I'm not going to flush my plants for now and just see how they go. As everyone has said they look healthy other than the yellow leaves.

Your plant looks healthy. I’d remove all those big fan leaves if it were me. Then it would be all green and pretty again

Comment

• buds73
              buds73 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been leaving them until they pretty much drop off. My logic behind that is that they are being fully used up before going to another leaf. Sounds logical just not sure if it's reality lol.

I would suggest, to clean a little bit the bottom, remove some big leafs because they are sucking energy, and you want that energy to the top 👍

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Leaves don’t suck energy up, they store all the energy. It’s the plants fuel tank for nutrients....

You can easily remove some bigger leaves without no problem at all. Even the lowest one, if they are not receiving any light, cut em off
            Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
            You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated had a bit of a panic on yesterday thinking i was going to end up losing the biggest plant as it had a lot of yellowing coming on. I removed some of the more yellowed leaves today leaving just the ones that have a few fingers of green on them. Despite the yellowing leaves the larger Fat banana doesn't seem to be showing signs of slowing down having gained another inch since the pics were taken yesterday with one branch that has come up from the second node and joined the main colas looking like its going to need support soon as it already has a tendency to lean off to one side. The other 2 seem to be slowing down and only gained half inch since yesterday but have gained a couple of extra yellow leaves.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much... They look ok !!
                Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
                Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
                Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
                Full auto grow
                Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
                12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

They're fine. It's like a parent with their 1st kid, uber protective. 2nd kid, gets em a chain saw for their 8th birthday. Lol.
                  Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• buds73
                    buds73 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    😂 You could be right there.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X