Spider mite infestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider mite infestation

So I just noticed I have a huge spider mite infestation as the weather has drastically changed and now today I came in my grow tent to silk webs over my bud sites. I removed many leaves that had hundreds of bite marks and adult mites on the underside but I don’t have much money to spend on a good insecticide.

any home remedies out there that have worked for you guys?
    i May have to buy something in the end.
    πŸ™πŸΌ

Lost Coast Plant Therapy. Hands down. They'll send you a 2oz sample for 4.95. Makes 2g which is more than enough.
    - SF Tent 70x70x160cm/27x27x63"​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ -4" exhaust-
    ​​​​​​​-SF1000+QB1000 for flower- - Inkbird Temp/Hum control-
    -Black Gold Organic, chicken compost, perlite. 1β€’1β€’1-
    -Earth Dust dry amendments- -5g fabric pot-
    ​

Comment

Got any pictures? If it's bad as you say , oh,sh-t,.
      I know over the years I've smoked many a joint that had mites, not from weed I've grown though.Or did I know it had mites.
      If you ever smoked a joint that popped, that was a burnt mite, think back, I bet ever body here that's been smokin awhile, has smoked some.
      I sure hope your plant ain't to bad.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Get ISO (rubbing alcohol) mix it 50/50 with water and spray the under side of the leaves then the top and soak it! (I will suggest spraying around the plants too, to kill whatever may have dropped off.) The alcohol will kill only the adults (not the eggs), and evaporate in minutes leaving only water to continue to evaporate. Spray then ever 2 days (no more than 3 days) for at least 3 treatments, then watch closely for them to return. Do this with the lights off so you dont burn the plants. You can also use any brand spinosad with the same directions at more cost. (if you can find the ISO!). Of course inside do ventilate the area, maybe make sure there is no open flame nearby, be safe.
        Also look into bud washing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and recipe.
          i ended up finding so many I had to put my 3
          plants outdoors and let Mother Nature do her thing.
          i did find some neem oil and some D-Earth powder so I used that.

I checked my plants in Vega and 3 of 13 of them were infested.
          i removed many leaves and sprayed with what I had and may use the D-earth possibly.

I had this in both my soil flowering plants and in my hydro garden.
          Hope my girls bounce back okay.

Iβ€˜all send pictures soon but it was crazy it was webbed on half of my flowering plants. I will be paying closer attention.

Comment

Damn sounds like it’s almost a lost cause but for next time I would recommend using lavender tea once a week as a preventative ipm. I use a couple spoons of lavender flower and put it to soak in a water bottle for 48 hrs the strain and spray the underside and e top of the leafs. That kills mites and it melts the eggs. The camphor in lavender is what melts the eggs. Rosemary has more camphor so that’s another good option. Another thing that I use that is good once a week are soap nuts (aritha nuts) I boil some and let it steep over night next day strain and spray same thing under and over leafs I actually mix it together with the lavender so when I spray it the soap nuts makes the solution stick on the leafs. Soap nuts will also melt the eggs. I bout my sack of lavender flower at Whole Foods. Now I’m growing my own bush outside.

Comment

I grow both lavender and rosemary and that’s perfect for my next round. The plants I put outside are already looking better even though there is obviously still a mite infestation.

Ill just buy some insecticidal mite killer and keep it on hand Incase they return and I will use the tea as a preventative.

Jeez!
              First I almost lost this harvest to gnats (lost 4 plants) and now these mites LoL I cant wait to end this nightmare πŸ˜‚

Comment

EzPz not sure what style of grow you do but in my soil there are beneficial insects. I don’t use bottled nutrients so they have a good place to live in the soil. Some I bought them and some the most expensive ones I wasn’t willing to buy somehow found there way into my indoor garden which I’m happy about. They sell them in sachets that slow release them or in bottles were you can just dump out into your garden. I believe mine may have been in the compost it’s called Malibu’s biodynamic compost. You know the compost is high quality when the beneficial are there. Just a thought incase you would like to go that route. Some people are afraid of the thought of having insects roaming around indoors but they don’t they stay on the pots or in the tent. Those insects are my first line of defense when I flip to flower. Cucumeris and Rove beetle is what I have and they do a great job so far knock on wood..

Comment

• PLreef
                  PLreef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is what I used in the past for spider mites. I purchased them from Arbico. I did a one time release and never had issues again.

Neem may not be ideal in flower but hands down, it works. The 50-50 alcohol/water may be a good option in flower.
                Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Neem is known to cause problems in flower, the alcohol is safe as it evaporates fast, and if the ISO bothers you, you can use 190 Everclear, it does cost more than the ISO but is intended for consumption.

Comment

Gonna try the alcohol or lavender today. I have brought my plants baxk inside and going to treat the minor mite infestation currently on my plants. I lowered the temp drastically and keep 2 big fans on the plants.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hope those infested plants don't pollute the indoor grow?

Could I use lavender oil ?

Comment

EzPz yes. If you can see the ingredients make sure it’s high in camphor that’s what blocks the eggs breathing hole thus making it pop. And kills the mites. I believe Rosemary has more camphor so that would be another good oil. Just make sure you use a surfactant so the oil and water don’t separate and you can get an even spray on the leaves and also the solution will stick to the leafs better. I use soap nuts. You can use dr. Bronner soap. An oil shop based in Oregon called liberty oils I believe has everything you need as far as oils and will show the levels of camphor on the website. Can’t recall the name exactly but it’s something like that. I’ll look it up and post it here. Another thing on Buildasoil.com go to the blog page and you will find pdf with oil recipes for IPM and they will explain how much oil to use and how to emulsify it and apply.

Comment

LibertyNatural.com click on the essential oils. Choose Lavender from the long list and then click on the tab that says C of A and it will show the amounts of camphor choose the one with the highest levels. Easy peasy. From the Buildasoil you will learn which are the best blends and you can make your own blend and it will be a lot more for a lot less than buying a bottle at a hydro shop. πŸ‘ŠπŸ½

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X