Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swamping

Hello Fellow Growers,

I’m going to be starting a new grow using the “swamping” method by Growing a plant in recycled material. This includes the use of corrugated cardboard a.k.a fiberboard, egg carton trays, drink trays and paper items such as mailed envelopes, old bill papers, etc. and using only food compost converted to liquid feed for easiest nutrient uptake and support of the root environment allowing saturation of the recycled material with nutrient water (water is allowed to evaporate chlorine for 110 hours indoors (2-3 hours in direct sunlight). With this I’ve been able to grow plants of all kinds of sizes. I look forward to all of you joining me on this exciting new adventure.
    As I go through the next grow, I will be raising the plant specifically for the purposes of creating feminized seeds either with CS or STS each have their pros and cons. We can hopefully decide that together as a community. I look forward to growing with you all. In the meantime, here are some early look at micro-grow plants that are finishing up. Dark Devil Auto's in a 3 foot tent under nine 9w LED bulbs with (5) 2700k Bulbs, (4). The darkness you see in the root zone is from composted materials converted to liquid feed. Layers between the recycled fibers were covered with mycorrhizae. I pre drenched my fibers to prepare them for the roots. I'll be in depth when I start the new plant. Between now and then, I'll let you guys enjoy the rest of the grow and check in as often as I can. Peace
    Last edited by AlienAgriculture; 10-19-2020, 05:35 PM. Reason: Tags

Interesting. First time i have heard of swamping. Only concerns i would have would be with ph and possibly issues with things like inks or chemicals on paper used but have no idea if that is even a problem with this. Look forward to seeing what the results are. Sounds like you have done this before so you obviously know more than me. Cool stuff!

Comment

I will say call your water provider and ask if they still use chlorine, mine does not, they use chloramine which does not gas off with time like chlorine does.
      I am tagged in to watch!

Comment

This is interesting! I never heard of this either
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I’ll totally be following! Sounds like a super interesting and sustainable concept. Can’t wait to see how ‘our fair lady‘ reacts 😁

Comment

Materials are usually pre-washed prior to use in any kind of swamping. The possibility of ink, chemicals, etc. are always considered. One of the favorite things to use, is drink carrying trays such as you might find from a fast food restaurant or coffee shop (see attached image) with a cup and tray you have everything you need to start a small swamp minus the seed and nutrients or compost. Keep your lid! by pre-drenching your swamp and your cradle, you can germinate in these. After sprouting you cut a hole in the top to allow your plant to grow and there you have it. The whole idea of Swamping other than creating a new environment to grow plants in is environmental conservation. You buy a drink, get your grow supplies for free (minus the seed and nutrients) and you recycle it's a win for everyone. We have done many of small and medium indoor and a large outdoor control group experiments with recycled material. Our next step will be pushing the envelope and attempting to create female seeds in a Swamp environment. Does anyone have any feedback as to whether Colloidal Silver or Silver Thiosulfate would be a better options, particularly given the nature of the root environment and circumstances in which we are growing? Happy to answer any questions anyone might have also

Click image for larger version

Name:	D09EB694-D43F-49CD-BB86-7F89D1C94B19.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	461380

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.jpeg
Views:	427
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	461382Click image for larger version

Name:	Portrtait.png
Views:	293
Size:	7.44 MB
ID:	461386
            Attached Files

Comment

looks intresting have u grown full size plants with this method like in a 5 gallon pot mate

Comment

Originally posted by growell View Post
                looks intresting have u grown full size plants with this method like in a 5 gallon pot mate
                Yes, Swamping has been done in a 25 gallon fabric pot outdoors reaching the second floor of a house. It started in a. greenhouse and had to be moved behind the actual house.

Last edited by AlienAgriculture; 10-20-2020, 03:38 PM. Reason: Addition of greenhouse picture

Comment

ok mate are u growing indoors in a tent under hps this time

Comment

Originally posted by growell View Post
                    ok mate are u growing indoors in a tent under hps this time
                    Currently, in a different location and growing indoor I'm finishing up the latest rounds of experiments in 9 LED bulbs ranging in watt from 9 - 16W (60-100W equiv.) with a combination of five 2700k bulbs and four 5000k daylight blue bulbs. When I start from scratch on the new grow that could very well change. If you guys want to see a 5g pot grow. I'm happy to do it.

Comment

Interesting technique. Ill be tagging along for sure.
                      5x5 Gorilla tent
                      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
                      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
                      Technaflora nutes
                      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

As these get finished up, I’ll be setting up a new grow to follow on here and probably some occasional updates between now and then. Thank you to those who are and will be taking an interest in Swamping. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Comment

looking good mate would be good to do a 5gallon indoor that what most people do have to explain every detail at beginning mate

Comment

Greetings Fellow Farmers,

We are getting started with our new grow! We are starting photoperiod plants (White Widow, O.G Kush) in 20oz clear plastic cups. We have pre-watered our containers with chlorine evaporated tap water (let water sit without cap for 110 hours) and placed them on a heating mat with the cradle (holds the seed) and the seed itself. This process will allow the fibers to sweat, maximizing humidity and water vapor. This will occur for about a day or so to bring the root environment to peak as well as allowing seed germination all at once.
                            Once the plants are big enough and the root system warrants it, they will be moved to a larger fabric 5 gallon container to resume the growing process. There is no imminent concerns about transplanting as a result of constriction or “outgrowing” the container given that It will wrap around from the bottom and continue to do so until they fill the container. This takes long enough that just one of these containers can take a plant from seed to a substantive harvest. We’ve been asked about growing in a 5 gallon container so we will happily indulge that request.

Happy Growing!

Comment

Interesting idea - personally I don't have those kind of containers cuz i don't eat out.
                              Looking at above pics - I don't see any seeds happening - buds to smoke - yes - but you said you were making seeds.

Seeds or buds to smoke - you need healthy roots for a healthy happy plant. Your clear plastic pic shows roots that are kinda yellowish and not white like I'm used to seeing on cannabis plants. Maybe you have a sleeve to put this clear plastic pot into to eliminate light on the roots.

Also your smallish plants need more light - just making seeds? Still need more light to grow healthy.

Good luck growing.
                              Last edited by Canuck147; 10-29-2020, 03:14 PM.
                              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                              Mars Hydro
                              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                              X