HELP! S.O.S. (Save Our Seedlings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! S.O.S. (Save Our Seedlings)

Hello kind folks at GWE Forum! I screwed up and need advice. This is my second grow.

I was using Jiffy Pellets to germinate several strains but screwed up by not providing enough light and oxygen and by keeping the pellets too moist. I've since fixed the problem somewhat...??

SET UP:
    2'x2'x4' Microgrow
    HLG 100 V2 LED light (Equivalent to 220W T5 or 300W CFL output or 200W metal halide)
    (haven't used the LED light yet)
    Organic soil grow
    EDIT: plan to SOG

STRAINS:
    Various autoflowers

Timeline:
    Week and a half ago: Sunday Oct 4th : Placed seeds in pellets with lid on beside window-We did this last time with veggies during spring and it worked. Now it is Fall (In Ontario, Canada)Therefore->bad idea! Not enough light or oxygen and too moist.

A few days later, a couple sprouts came out. Very stretched out.

A week later (Sunday 11th) I took of the lid off and added a CFL.
    one or 2 more seeds popped up.

2 days ago, (Monday) I transfered to the tent and added another CFL.
    (see before and after pictures)

(In case these links don't work, I've attached images the first 4 are these pictures)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0625.JPG Views:	0 Size:	333.0 KB ID:	459364Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0626.JPG Views:	0 Size:	342.1 KB ID:	459365Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0628.JPG Views:	0 Size:	522.1 KB ID:	459369Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0629.JPG Views:	0 Size:	562.3 KB ID:	459368

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Today (Wednesday the 14th). more seedlings popped up.
    (see pictures)

(In case these links don't work, I've attached images the last 2 are these pictures)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0633.JPG Views:	0 Size:	408.4 KB ID:	459367Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0634.JPG Views:	0 Size:	573.7 KB ID:	459370

If all had worked out, I was going to bypass solo cups but now I may need to use them.

What should I do now? It's been a week and a half since seeds went in pellets.
    problems: some seedlings are too stretched out
    some have not popped
    what do I do to acclimatize the seedlings to the LED light?
    Anything else?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MaxR; 10-14-2020, 12:00 PM.

Put the Jiffy pellets in 2-3 gallon pots full of good soil then bury them up almost to the cotyledons and put them under the HLG.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Just what was said by above get those in there final pot now and put them under the LED. Hope you have all your gear ready? Pots, soil ? I can't understand why folks start so many seedlings with the amount of space they have or lights. I guess these were all " free " so no thought or plan on how many will fit in the tent.

• MaxR
      MaxR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comments. I am ready with pots and soil. The seeds were not free. I did make a plan and did adeqaute research. The plan is to SOG (Sea of Green) to maximize microgrow. I jusy edited my post to reflect that. More to the point, what is the best way to acclimatize the seedlings, which received very little light, to the LEDs? How do I deal with the pellets that did not sprout? Wait? Cut open, etc.
      Last edited by MaxR; 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM.

After a week and a half I would think the percentage rate of those ones that haven't shown yet is pretty low now. But I am a 1st time grower and had my own share of trouble with germination. Best of luck to you.
    Vivosun 5x3 tent, AC Infinity T6 fan, Vivosun carbon filter,5 gallon fabric pots, coco-coir, 600watt Vivosun MH/HPS

Comment

One more sprouted since yesterday! I'm still looking for opinions on how to acclimatize the seedlings to the LED (if needed) and how to deal with the ungerminated seeds. Thanks!

Comment

Put the seedlings under the light, they were telling you they wanted more light the moment they began stretching. Throw the dead seeds away or since they're all various autos anyway just make up a separate pot of soil, tear them open and dump the peat out onto the top of a pot and keep it moist, they might come up later. I have what I think are duds that sometimes end up popping up when I reuse the soil they're in.

Comment

Thanks for your help, all! I've followed the advice and so far so good. All but 2 of the seeds have popped and all seem to be moving along nicely. The inadequate oxygen/moisture/temperature seemed to have slowed things down but so far so good. Fingers crossed..

Comment

Maybe I missed it. How many of those do you plan on growing out in that tent? I can't imagine more than one, maybe 2 if they are kept super small.
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• MaxR
              MaxR commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm doing a sea of green. small air pots.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X