Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seed casings stuck on seedlings........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seed casings stuck on seedlings........?

This happens in varying degrees and usually the casings split and fall off as the leaves open and push them off. What happens when this doesn't happen? How do I take it off without harming the seedling?

One is stuck on like a football helmet. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201013_103325[1].jpg
Views:	265
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	458993
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

I’ve had that happen. It’ll eventually fall off but probably stunts the growth a little until it happens. I’d be afraid to mess with that one. Looks like it has a tight grip on it and they’re so delicate that early

Comment

Place a small drop of water on top of the seed shell and leave it. Replace the drop a couple of times over the course of a day and usually the growing plant will have enough strength to finish splitting and shedding the shell. If it's already been like that for a day or two, place a drop of water on it, let it sit a couple of minutes to soak in and then split and remove it manually. I grow almost exclusively from seed and I have to do it so often I feel like a surgeon sometimes.

Comment

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        good idea. I guess soaking seeds does this before the hatch, softens the shells

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        FunkyButtLovin is spot on. Had this happen and placed a small drop of water on the seed. Worked like a champ.

just leave it will push off mate or wait till loser just flick off

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyButtLovin View Post
        Place a small drop of water on top of the seed shell and leave it. Replace the drop a couple of times over the course of a day and usually the growing plant will have enough strength to finish splitting and shedding the shell. If it's already been like that for a day or two, place a drop of water on it, let it sit a couple of minutes to soak in and then split and remove it manually. I grow almost exclusively from seed and I have to do it so often I feel like a surgeon sometimes.
        +1 have had to do this, couple drops and some tweezers, you can usually get it off, just dont force it.
        If you get confused....listen to the music play

Comment

Just a drop or 2 of water leave her she'll shed it
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

thanks, all. yep, 2 drops on the shell and a few hours later it was gone. Nice.
            complete beginner
            39" x 39" x 78" tent
            315 Watt CMH
            4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
            Automatic top feed into coco.
            Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X