Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside Protection

Hello

These plants still have another month + in the Pacific northwest fall weather outside. I have a drop cloth to protect it from the rain, but it hasnt experienced any kind of real rainy nights yet. Is there anything better/more I can do to protect them?

Thanks for any suggestions and help

If you cover with plastic, just make sure everything stays dry, and you need good ventilation and airflow right on the plants.

Comment

I'm in the Northeast where we have had some cooler rainy days over the last week. I've been covering with a tarp. Mine are on the ground next to my deck so I just drape the tarp over the rail and it protects them from the rain and wind plus they are still getting air flow from under the deck. It's worked so far.

Comment

You could use PVC and build a frame that gets covered with plastic. Make it so you can take it on and off as your weather allows. Like a little mobile greenhouse.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Oh yeah, I know the PNW. Good suggestions here. I like using plastic from the top of the fence oner the plants to the ground, a lean-to. If you are going to frame something, like @PLeef said, pic from the hardware store is great, easy to cut and all kinds of connectors for corners and Y's. You can build a little hoop house or wind tunnel. Whatever you do, watch the humidity and make sure there is good airflow through there. You run into a heavy potential for molds going this late into the year if you are west of the mountains.

Comment

Oh yeah, if you do build anything with plastic or a frame, make sure that it is nailed down solid. You don't want it to fly away and crack the plant in half as it exits your yard

Comment

I'm a PNWster too. I used a $25 roll of greenhouse plastic .06ml over the top 1/2 of a 4x4 tent frame. I shoulda took a fan out too cause this yr WPM was a bumper crop!!! Damn near the only thing that grew outside this year! But they were dry....

Comment

• cman
                cman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the tip! Where did u get ur $25 roll of greenhouse plastic from? Everything Ive seen online is extra costly and there seems to be so many different plastic/tarp options.

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                I got it at Home Depot. 10x25ft roll.

It's a must to have air circulation under the plastic.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

If those were my plants - I would pick them up and put them in the house every night. Looks like they are in pots to me.
                ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                Mars Hydro
                Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

We are indeed expecting some weather in the PNW! Those don't look far enough along to be growing outside till they finish. The sun is already coming from waaay over there and not shining overhead. I don't know where you are, but it's chilly this morning in NW Wa. In another month it'll be dark at 4pm. When its not raining. You might need a plan B. I'm with Canuck. I'd be bringing them indoors.

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
                    AccidentalGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I may have to bring a couple plants inside from my tent. I'll be putting them in my bathtub with a cheap 600W LED light, but they are autos and don't have special light requirements, other than good light, lol.

• cman
                    cman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    These are photos and are the rejects from my grow tent that I didnt just want to toss. I did not expect them to get so large n pretty outside either and now Im invested in their survival lol. . . . this might just be the excuse I was lookin for to get a LED light and say fuck a budget

• AccidentalGardener
                    AccidentalGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yay for f*ck the budget, I always say! Lol. I also sympathize with 'couldn't bear to part with them', which is why my own tent looks like it does. We need to set up a local foster program for clones that were supposed to die, LOL.

I realized my pics from yesterday sucked so I took more to share. This is the setup currently - a 2ml plastic drop cloth from Lowes is attached to the gutters and hanging over 6ft bamboo stakes.

Thanks for any tips!
                  Attached Files

Comment

They are so pretty. A lot bigger than they looked. Good luck!

Comment

I like that the tall bamboo is giving more airspace inside compared to running it from the gutters to the ground. I'd say it still needs a fan or something to cycle the air in there, but good job on the quick fix.

Comment

You need air inside, that is a humidity trap.

Comment

• JDU
                          JDU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Definatly. Open it up!!!! Air flow on all 4 sides!

I use N-sulate plant jackets. Breathable

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X