Bout to throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bout to throw in the towel

So without gettin all crazy into research & playin with & finding my own sweet mix of live or super soil & facing the fact that a good bagged dirt just ain't available round here I'm starting to revisit the idea of switching to coco. This isn't easy for me cause 1- it feels like quittin & 2- I hear that hydro & coco grown buzz is less flavorful. I'm autistic. Flavor is damn near as important as potency for me..... So I ask-

How MUCH difference in regards to flavor is there between dirt & coco?
    Mr.furley in particular I'd like to hear from here but anyone with pertinent knowledge I wanna hear from you too.

Nothing wrong with coco. IMO it's harder because you are responsible for nutrients the entire time, no head start from pre-amended soil. Coco isn't the best for organic nutrient lines, but are great for soil. Coco is typically salt based, synthetic nutrients but coco is also easier to flush than soil. I personally think growing in pots tastes better than hydro or DWC but I personally haven't tasted a night and day difference between soil or coco..... But I can tell the difference between vinyl and cd.

Comment

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      You can, but they tend to be more effective in soil. Organic fertilizers are broken down by soil organisms over time to provide the plant-available nutrients. It's easier to cultivate and support those organisms in soil. Organics and coco will work but this is more an efficiency answer.

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Grrrrr. 🤨🤨🤨

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't let it discourage you though. If you are doing it and getting good results, don't fix what isn't broken

Vinyl is way better then cd, the crispness from analog is yummy! Did you know that the sales of Records this year had surpassed CDs sales for the first time in 34 years. In the first six months of 2020, $232 million in vinyl to $129 million in cd, but have ever try to play a record in a car? 45 don't fit in the CD player thing very well and trying to find the spot the needle skipped from every time you hit a bump sucks. Got a sealed original 8-panel Paul's Boutique LP and you won't catch me playing that in the car!

Each medium is going to have its pros and cons for how it handles and grows. I like to say that it's the one you find the most interesting without overwhelming yourself and your environment. Me, Iv got a wheelbarrow load from the salt pile throwing shovel fulls at them plants every 4 days and besides record keeping and time that I'm dedicated to Mix and feed (sometime it is a chore) I find it interesting being hands on, keeping myself responsible and busy is half the fun for me, I like hanging with my plants, mix time is also me time/de-leafing/training some call it O.C.D. I call it putting shit were it goes. If i just run in and water my plants get out of control and so does my work space, I find coco super easy because I make the time for it, 1 hour or less every 2 days is the bare minimum commitment.

I have noticed Sabtla differences in flavor between all three mediums but it's the same as smoking different strains or pheno from the same seeds to me, some do it for you and sometimes don't come out. There's a difference between outdoor and indoor but that doesn't make one better than the other just different. I find no problem with the taste from my weed in coco and in my opinion is the best weed Iv smoked especially most the crap from dispensaries.

JDU have you tried looking at Kindsoil? have seen some peeps really enjoy it, its got delivery! and I think there may be a tutorial on the main GWE webpage with it.
    kindsoil.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, kindsoil.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I was overwhelmed in March, thought about it for 6 months and have made a couple changes to easy things on me this year hopefully but changing from coco wasn't one of them. Make sure you're not putting too much pressure on yourself in your tent and keep it fun.

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Xena
      Xena commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr.furley everyone knows you don’t play records in the car.....that’s what 8 tracks are for! 🤪

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Yes I have put a lotta pressure on myself for these last 2 runs of the yr. Right now I have plants in each stage of growth, 3 different soils, everyone needs different nutes, temps & humidity & each has her own watering schedule. Its pandemonium round here!!! Come Springtime I'm gonna approach the empty tents with a lot more planning & forethought. Everyone gets the same medium & I'll think 2x before I grow autos & photos- indicas, sativas & hybrids all at the same time!

P.S. I think one reason vinyl sounds better'n plastic is the music was better!!
      Last edited by JDU; 09-29-2020, 01:04 PM.

Mr.furley old school new school. I do like my Sonos speakers though

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	454375

"That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

They tried 45rpm players in cars once or twice. Guess how that turned out?
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I cant give a comparison as i have only done coco and hydro so take this with a grain of salt. I have grown seeds from the same strain from same breeder that can have different tastes. For example i got some sour diesel seeds from MSNL and planted 2 last grow. One plant had the heavy sour d taste and smell and the other didnt taste much like anything. Grown in same tent with same nutes. This is why when growers find the perfect plant they keep it or a clone as a mother plant. Unfortunately i cant give you an idea on how much of a difference there is between the mediums but i can say that i have gotten some tasty bud from both hydro and coco, but have also gotten some bland tasting (but still potent) bud as well. Since we have not had as long to breed out the variances between seeds like we have with fruits and veggies you will get some that are what you want and some that are meh. This is how i think about it.

Dont give up my man. It can be very frustrating when a plant doesnt turn out the way you want but keep experimenting until you find the plants and methods you prefer. Unfortunately cannabis genetics are still in the early stages of development so things can vary a lot form seed to seed. IMO it is more important when learning to grow to master bulk first then start experimenting with things that will improve taste as that will help you master the basics and then you can tweak things easier and more knowledgeably attack the taste problem. Its like when you first start learning to play guitar it is damn near impossible to sing and play at the same time. Once you get the basics and fundamentals of guitar down you could literally sing and play and think about what you are going to have for dinner. It isnt the same obviously but i just got some weed again and im pretty stoned and this is the best i could come up with lol.

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          I must be stoned too then cause it makes sense to me lol. & I'm happy for ya to be back in the green!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X