For the Newbs from a Newb: PART 2 - A Feral 2nd Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Newbs from a Newb: PART 2 - A Feral 2nd Grow

This grow has gone from feral to being renamed Ballroom Blitz. If you don't know why, Spotify it

Here is a link to the vegging part of this adventure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...feral-2nd-grow

The tent was flipped to 12/12 on 9-17-20 after a fairly long veg for the area I'm working with - a 2 x 4 x 5' tent in my duplex garage.
    A 4" exhaust fan and charcoal filter, a couple of inexpensive dual-switch 600w LED lights that are actually about 200w at the wall, give or take.
    There are four 5-gallon containers that are getting kinda crappy to move. They are clones from my first grow that I couldn't bear to throw away. One is a CBD Crop Doctor and 3 are likely Irene Apricot, but the stuff will take the top of your head off and make you forget where you put it down, lol.

There are also two FBL autos in 1-gallon containers. Both are 29 days since sprout.

Hoh-lee FunkyButt! Decided to rearrange one last time. Pulled the 1-gallon containers to the front since they are easier to move. The Lemon Skunk auto finally showed me her pistils yesterday, a full 10 days after her tent-mate, the FBL Lemon Skunk x Strawberry Cheesecake. I chose to grow these two without training them at all because I want to know what they're gonna do without being LST, topped, bent, folded or otherwise spindled. Both are about the same height, but one is much bushier. Both got a a crispy leaf. Doesn't seem to have bothered them at all. They are on 12/12 because that's the kind of place we're running here...a small one, lol.

The photos have started to climb. I decided to stop intermittently snipping on fan leaves I deemed in the way and just let them do it. I'll get a better idea of exactly what is throwing shade in the next two weeks or so. I want to defoliate one more time - week 3 post-flip to 12/12. I wanna leave just enough for them to be healthy. Having two lights has turned out to be helpful, since its way easier to raise a light than a 5-gallon container. The autos will be much easier to handle in regards to the light. The risers are half-gallon mason jars.

If Homer Laughlin saw me watering my pot plants with a 60-year old coffee pot, he'd turn over in his grave. One of the other myriad branches of my life is a love of antique pottery.
    Except we use it - not necessarily for the use it was originally designed. So I'm using a Golden Wheat coffee server - the lid is safely in the house - to water my plants exactly where I want the water to go. My live mentor/BFF said, "Get a pump". I said, "Have you seen me fill our Britta? I think an electric pump is a bad idea." This coffee pot fits right in the 5 gallon bucket of pH-ed water I got my new water boy to take to my indoor garden. I'm no longer drooling water everywhere that I later gotta clean up.

Another really important thing, my growing friends who are new to indoor cultivation, is keeping your grow area tidy, no matter its size or location. Even if the rest of your habitat is a yard-sale, keep your grow area clean. A lot of us already have mobility challenges. Don't make it harder on yourself by leaving a puddle you later slip in and bust a move. Don't set shit down where you are gonna trip over it.
    Keep a roll of paper towels handy. You don't want extra wetness anywhere in your area. Keep your cords up. Don't use Grandma's good crockery to water your plants. I get mine at the Goodwill, lol.

Mother Nature is still shooting out the lights and tossing stuff around outdoors. With my indoor sanctuary, I've ceased to care.
    And I'm thankful for the carbon filter because those little FunkyButtLovin autos are already stinkers

Looks great - now if those autos were mine - I would cut off a few fan leaves - the two that are blocking pistils underneath - might look funny at first - but in a couple of days you'll look like a genius.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      AccidentalGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Heehee. I don't think looking like a genius is a potential outcome for me regarding growing pot. But I appreciate having someone to blame it on if things go t*ts-up after I nab some leaves, lol.
      Just putting the gears to ya

Looking real nice. And a very entertaining read

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      thank you Driller
      never grown in this space over the winter so I'm interested to see what happens. It's a finished garage that is practically air-tight and has no outside ventilation. I should have a degree in manipulating airflow soon

• Driller
      Driller commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Very good read to the point and like Driller said very entertaining. And yes to removing those big fans blocking the bud sites and she will thank you with her growth. Just beautiful healthy looking grow.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      Thank youns SoOrbudgal and @Canuck147
      Perhaps I shall spindle them a little. Two large fan leaves at a time - each.
      Tomorrow morning. The lights went off 10 mins ago.
      Last edited by AccidentalGardener; 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM.

Looks like things are moving right along, good job. That lemon skunk x strawberry cheesecake sounds delicious.

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      I had the opportunity to get some Cat Piss oil and I had to say no. "Why??" They need to get a new strain-namer wherever that one was invented, LOL

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      I love you guys, dog shit, Cat piss, I haven't ever heard that come out of a mouth that is under 30 years old. I'm a fan of those strains FunkyButtLovin

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      Lol, this group doesn't mess around. Well, some of us do. I do. Its all I know how to do. I go at everything from the angle I find the most humorous. It's the only reason most of the old-timers put up with me. Chad, you've come to rest in a very cool place!

The whole flower tent is showing pistils this morning! All four photos have them!
    The autos have them!
    Yay for charcoal filters!
    We are only 8 days since flip, so I'm gonna say the photos are good goers! The humidity is easier to deal with than it was over the summer and I'm very excited about that, since it's currently pouring buckets and blowing sideways.

Took two fan leaves each from the autos. It killed me. Word on the street is it won't kill them.

Go little pot plants, go!

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      It will only kill them if there was some disease on the blade or fingernail you used.

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      We got no cooties here, Sir! We are doing the Pistil Packin' Mama dance

Originally posted by AccidentalGardener View Post
    This grow has gone from feral to being renamed Ballroom Blitz. If you don't know why, Spotify it
    Gotta love Krokus!!

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
      Editing a comment
      lmao. WHAT?? Who the hell is Krokus?? Bwhahaha. Yeah, those guys were not my jam. I was refering to the Sweet version.

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet huh? I knew it was a remix but not who they swiped it from.

ChadWestport

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_130020.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	452890

Comment

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      My jaw literally just dropped. Wow, I would love to get / try some of that. Just wow.

Here are some pix of what pistils look like when they get big enough to see without squinting.

Comment

Lmao, love the rename. Thanks for the indoor cultivation tips from one newb to another. Your plants are looking gorgeous!

Comment

Middle of wk 3 flowering. Have done two major defoliations in 4 days, which I suppose makes them both minor defoliations. As even experienced pot-farmers can tell you, no one is immune to falling objects.
        Argh. Had a hygrometer fall from the sky and break a branch on the LSxSC auto. Upon closer inspection, it appears I broke it at that spot once before. Good times. Not noticing one of your kids is bleeding.
        I'm not going to miss that branch, but that auto might. I didn't take it off because there still may be hope. She lost a good-sized fan, too. Fortunately she is not the moody one.

All y'all wondering how much will fit in your tent...I can't help you. These are 5 gal except for the autos. I won't be using 5-gal indoors again unless my indoors gets a lot bigger.
        But I can tell you how many won't fit in your tent.
        This many.
        Omg.
        If I get to the end without losing anything, it will make every other grow after this seem easy.

As the Universe has been pointing out this year, shit happens...

Peace and Happy Autumn!

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good AG, great color.
          Cannabis is like kids at that age they bounce back.😂

• AccidentalGardener
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Sensei. Been reading the plants a lot more than the nutrient labels

A full tent is a happy tent. It might be a pain and messy sometimes but it's always nice.

Here was my mess a few months ago in the process of making the CJ x seeds. This was about the time the caterpillars were wreaking havoc.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_105058.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	4.92 MB
ID:	456323

Comment

• AccidentalGardener
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Funky One. I was really worried about over-crowding because I think humidity is always going to be a challenge for me. I am a chronic over-planter, lol. If one is good, two must be better. I have newfound hope!

Good stuff AC, keep those babies happy. There will be a nice bounty for you at the end

Comment

Ballroom Blitz: end week 3 of flip to 12/12.
          The stretch is on! Defoliated just in time, which was my plan. I won't do it again; just a leaf here and there if something is blocking.
          Have been messing around waiting and before I knew it, the whole tent was within 12" of the lights. They've been suspended by an number of carabiners of different sizes, and the cable that came with them. Never used the pulley thing. That sassy little Lemon Skunk auto is 21" tall. Her half-sister is 15" tall and on a riser. Neither got LST or topping; just some random fan-leaf removal that was blocking it's own lower budsites. Want to learn what these autos will do do so I know how to treat them next time. Both are 40 days above ground this fine, foggy October day.

I rummaged my old jewelry-making supplies for chain. Booyah. Fortunately the lights are not heavy. Got the lights up to 20" above the canopy yesterday and there is still about a foot I can raise them. I left the cables intact to prevent an accident should the chain fail before I get proper chain. Like a safety rope.

Today the lights are only 16" from the canopy.

If I seem excited, it's because I am excited. I made boo-koo boo-boos the first time combined with tomato-cage LST, so I didn't experience The Stretch last time. At all. the damage was done by the time I learned I needed to be two weeks ahead instead of two weeks behind, lol.
          I skipped ahead in the material and I knew they were going to do it and just left them alone. No cages. Moderate LST and more than one FIM'd top, lol. By the time I have to support colas, I should have plenty of jewelry chain to support them because I am going to take care of my light-chain issue before it's a real issue. I have been ready for the plants to get their grow on. If I run out of room, I have a pretty good idea of what to do before it hurts the plants. I have a week before I can get to the purveyor of chain. I woulda used curling ribbon if I had to. Sometimes you gotta McGyver stuff and that's okay!
          I'll save the curling ribbon for supporting the rest of the colas when I run out of chain

BTW:
          If you ever spray insecticidal soap (or anything else wet) on your indoor plants, you already know to turn off the lights, right?
          If you spray your shit with Safer Insecticidal soap with kelp - turn off all the circulation fans, too. I cooked my photo seedlings a little. Fortunately I was here and monitoring the situation and was able to stop the crisping process before the whole plant died. In less than an hour, I had crispy leaves and the lights were off. Figured out quick it was the oscillating fan.

I suggest never treating your grow with anything and then walking away. I mean check the plants hourly.
          I overreacted and then had to over-correct. Yikes.

Comment

• lalaland
            lalaland commented
            Editing a comment
            They’re looking very happy, aren’t they?

Well I never made mistakes LOL OMG the mistakes i made i never told LOL. I love to McGyver and to see others reuse to make it happen. From looking down on them you are full. They may be fine at 16" you could bend the branch do super crop. Squeeze the branch enough to crush and bend to make it floppy these branches will amaze you on how much energy they put towards the tops of the colas. If you need the head space. Otherwise they look like they love you.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X