pH Probe Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH Probe Tip

Let me clarify ... not the actual tip of the probe, but a recommendation for usage.

Most who measure pH routinely I suspect are familiar with proper storage, calibration, and cleaning protocols.

However, I suspect a good number do not know that wiping the probe tip after a measurement is not recommended. Rather, the tip should be gently blotted with a moistened tissue or paper towel. The reason is two-fold; the remote possibility of scratching the tip, and the higher possibility of generating an electrostatic charge which will result in greater instability in your readings, which can be frustrating enough when measuring unbuffered solutions.

Retired after 30+ years as a chemist in a research lab ... measured pH once or twice. Hope this helps, but please let me know if my knowledge is dated.
    Surround yourself with nature, and let it breathe life into your soul.

Thats why I use PH strips or liquid PH tester less hassle

Comment

Ok Walt, what you really got going in your basement 😂

Comment

Well my tip would be make sure that "removable tip" is meant to be removed, yep I pulled the tip from mine to find a hair fine now broken wire, dead toss it in the trash.

Comment

One of mine(bluelab) came with a small bottle of probe cleaner and a soft child's size tooth brush to clean grime and scale off with. I clean and re calibrate it monthly.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

An excellent practice PL ... I don't necessarily recalibrate but I check against a pH 7.0 reference solution with each set of measurements, just to be sure.
            Surround yourself with nature, and let it breathe life into your soul.

Comment

I let my plant and the soil figure that out for me. After almost 2 years of not testing the PH they seem to be doing a good job on their own.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X