Plants too tall for grow space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plants too tall for grow space

So my plants super stretched since I switched to 12/12. I have under 1000w hps in a 4x4 x7 ft grow tent. Problem is I can not move light any higher and plants are too close to light. When I say super stretched I mean that there is like over a foot of growth between nodes. Is it the strain or my growing conditions that accounts for the stretch? I just stripped the under growth and am figuring I may have to take down tent and hang light from the ceiling. Or is it too late to supercrop? 2 weeks in since the light switch.

Supercrop 'em

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, Supercrop them

Better just getting rid and starting again imo. You get plants that don’t grow right. I had the exact same issue as you and I killed it. It sucks but reinventing your grow space to fit 1 plant isn’t the solution.

Comment

Agreed, supercrop them. 1000W HPS is a little excessive for that small space though IMO. Bet the heat is outrageously high in there!

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
        FunkyButtLovin commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, 1kw HPS is a beast in a 4x4.

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried one in mine when I first started and it definitely didn't last long in there.

Originally posted by FunkyButtLovin View Post
      Supercrop 'em
      Yep ...tie em down, bend them over...gently break the stems... I even tied weights to the branches to keep them down...

note I grow with led and I keep them dam close, not much stretch for example my thai was only about 5 ft, including10 " of pot size.. Outside was whole another story...

Comment

Stays between 72 up to 82F six inches below cool tube reflector. I have a homemade 9 bucket dwrc with the resivor outside tent. Using 5 gallon buckets. Thats probably a bit much for a 4x4 as well. First hydro style grow for me. First real indoor as well though I'm very familiar with outdoor. Anyhow I got a bit rough with the ladies and bent em over. I will post pics if I decide to continue out this grow. Thanks for the input.

Comment

And dont forget cloning!

Comment

Cloning great thing when I find a strain that has good traits. The stretch in these very undesirable. It was oilslick from Greenpoint seeds. Anyone have any experience with seeds from them? I have a bunch and I hope they are not all similar to oilslick

Comment

• dphipps1020
              dphipps1020 commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be that your light was too high during veg? Just a thought

Just checked the website and the reviews said everything from short and bushy to way too tall. The description reads med-tall to tall. At least next time you'll know that you need to keep them short and bushy from the get go. Maybe plant a few seeds and pick the shortest bushiest one to go with.

Comment

Mine stretched more than I thought they would too but I tied them down during the stretch as needed to keep them at the appropriate distance from the light. I have a bunch of branches that are now tied down a little more horizontally than they would be if they weren't too close. No problem. Also, it exposes the lower buds to more light so they are getting bigger now. I personally would always tie a branch down if I had to rather than supercrop during budding and cost yourself two recovery days where your buds will stop on that plant til the plant recovers. Just my two cents.

Comment

So 1st pic is of plants continuing to stretch, 2nd is pic of something I must be doing wrong. Quality sucks due to interference from 1000w hps.
                Attached Files

Comment

• dphipps1020
                  dphipps1020 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you hold sunglasses in front of your camera lens it should get rid of most of the lines in your pictures.

• Fishmiser
                  Fishmiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oi hey thanks

Ok that is backwards 2 pic of continuing stretch

Comment

Props for keepin' it old school with the magnetic ballast. Unfortunately we can't see much. What is the problem?

Comment

Buds are stretching. Not filling in to make nice colas, just numerous small buds. For as big as the stem is, outdoors I would have some beautiful buds. I don't have much experience indoors

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
                      FunkyButtLovin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's probably light type/distance on top of genetics.

I gotta agree with FunkyButtLovin tell us about where they are, tent or room also. How old the plants are also. But i do believe it's light and environment. My 2 cents.
                    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                    indoor/outdoor grower
                    1 4x4x8 tent -veg.& flower - 2 viparspectraR450 =400watts from the wall they say?
                    1 3x3x6 tent- seedlings veg t-5, CFL 54watt w/reflector for clone station. And 2 viparspectar 450r for veg. lights do to poor build with drivers bloom lights go out so no flowering.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X