Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defoliation and Nodes

Hey fellow growers,

3rd week of flower and just removed leaves from bottom of plants. G13 hybrid is 24” after an 11” stretch, with 7-8 nodes on main stems. I left the top 4-5 nodes alone and plan to defoliate inside fan leaves next week. Pics attached.

Will buds develop at these lower nodes? They are 10-12” below top of plant. 200w led at 18”.

I will leave as is unless this group thinks I should strip higher up.

Thanks for your thoughts, Peace.
    Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

I try and get everything that isn't at least 12" from the canopy top. LED does have better light penetration than HPS, so you may be able to go 18". Buds will develop at those lower nodes, but they will be airy and often not an ideal smoking bud, something that is better for making edibles or bubble hash with.

Your plants don't have excessive side branching and a wide canopy, so you will probably get a little more light penetration than normal. You could be good as is. You have to try it with your light and see the result with that strain. Most don't produce solid bugs that low, but I have been surprised in the past.

Comment

• Cheeba
      Cheeba commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice, first grow and still figuring things out.

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      You're doing great for the first time around. Plants look healthy and they are already flowering. Keep doing what you are doing Just be sure to not overdo things.

I've always read the opposite, HPS has better canopy penetration than LED. You'll get bud sights all up and down but the question is do you want that larf. Get tired of trimming that lower stuff real quick and start concentrating on producing a nice wide, even canopy. You're doing quite well for a first grow!
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• Cheeba
      Cheeba commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I’m pumped! Getting rid of larf without impacting colas is the goal.

Peace and thanks.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X