Watering germination/seedling in coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering germination/seedling in coco

Unfortunately my first attempt at growing in soil hasn’t gone so well. She’s still alive, and I haven’t given up on her yet, but I’m looking to get another grow on the go, and this time I thought I’d try coco.
    I've thoroughly read Nebula’s guide to growing in coco coir a few times, and I do not doubt their knowledge at all, I just want to make sure I’ve understood it right.
    If starting off directly into a 5 gallon fabric pot, should I be watering for 20% run off straight from the get go (during germination and seedling stage)?
    I believe the watering till run off is necessary to prevent salt/nutrient build up, but it just seems a lot for a young seedling.
    I’m going to be using Canna Coco Pro + with 30% perlite, GHE nutrients and VitaLink calmag (unless anyone thinks any of those are a bad idea lol)
    Just want to make sure I get it right this time 😊
    Thanks as always to everyone for their help

Are you growing autos of photoperiod plants?
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Venkman
      Venkman commented
      Editing a comment
      Will be using my purple queen auto seeds for now, as a friend recommended autos for my first grow. Although I think I might soon buy some feminised photos, as from what I’ve learned, you have time to recover from mistakes by extending the veg period

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      With autos it is best to go right to the final container, don't water to full run off, put a shot glass over the germinating seed with a little moisture until it sprouts then remove the shot glass. ones it has sprout start watering with a small Circle around the new plant, letting it dry out in between and gradually increase the circle until the plant is the size of the pot by then you achieve full runoff. Watering to runoff right now will overwatering your plant.

• Venkman
      Venkman commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, thanks 😊

Do not start directly in a 5 gallon pot, you're destined to repeat the past. Way to big for such a little root mass.

Comment

• Venkman
      Venkman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the help. I went in to this naively planning on spending £20 on a seed, pot and soil just as an experiment, but have found it so interesting and exciting, I really want to do it all as best I can. I’ve got some rapid rooters on the way, and given the issue I had last time with overwatering, I think I’m going to go the transplanting route, and next time definitely use photoperiods. Thanks again for the help and advice

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      That is awesome, it is a fun hobby and there will always be something new to learn. I enjoy the process very much.

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely the best of luck to you and happy growing, they're a hundred and one ways to do each stage right and when it comes down to it, it's the best way that works for you.

This forum is full of great Growers with years of experience that are very helpful, so stick around, ask questions when you need, and Read! Read! Read! It will get you past that first grow and beyond to your new found hobby with great success.

P.S. we love pictures.
      Last edited by Mr.furley; 09-20-2020, 03:34 PM.

Mr.furley is correct, there are many ways to accomplish the same goal when it comes to growing. A lot of it has to do with experience level and personal style. There are definitely some mistakes you see repeated over and over again and when you've been growing long enough, you'll definitely make many mistakes along the way too. The fun part is learning from it and doing better next time.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X