Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pollinated Cannabis doesn't seem to want to produce seeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pollinated Cannabis doesn't seem to want to produce seeds.

Hey guys,
    I had a bit of a disappointing grow whereby all of my crop was pollinated with a rogue male being among a bunch of plants. In any case I left two continue to grow hoping for at least a good haul of seeds. The issue is I've left them go for quite some time - all of the hairs are amber and the leaves are yellowing - but the seed bracs don't contain seeds. They're just mushy green nothings. Perhaps I just need to let them keep going? Any thoughts lads? Cheers

How long ago did they get hit with the male? Normally 6-8 weeks for full seed development, but you'll notice immature ones within a week or two of pollination.

Not all pollen is viable, high humidity levels can effect it. If your plants had just received a rain, that will make a difference too. Water neutralizes pollen.

Comment

• Fritzle
      Fritzle commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Chad, To be honest I'm not too sure of how long they've been pollinated. I was expecting some pretty nice flowers until it happened. I feel like it was late in the process. Bit on a noggin scratcher.

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently had some plants get pollinated from stray (but I know the source) pollen at week 4 of flower. So instead of chopping them at week 8 like I normally would, I let two go to 10 weeks when they were nice and seeded and the other two didn't get fully mature seeds until week 12. So, based off of when they got pollinated, the 6-8 week rule held up. One of them didn't look like there were going to be many but the calyxes on the insides were full. I guess the bud still grew new calyxes which kind of hid the treasure inside.

Yea nice. Going on that I think I'll just leave them as long as it takes. If by next year they're still not doing anything - I'll give up

Comment

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      haha, yeah. I had no intention of trying to harvest or smoke the flower portions, at best I'd use it and the leaves to make some bubble hash. I was after the seeds.

You can always try and harvest one of the larger (older) buds if it is time to be harvested. It will give you a chance to try the smoke and if you do discover seeds while drying it or breaking it up for your bowl, you'll know the plant it came from did indeed get some seeds. You've got a decent sized cola going there, would be terrible to waste it hoping it was seeded.

Ahhh I honestly thought the plants were useless to smoke. You're saying I can dry out what's there and it'll still do the trick? It just looks like the bracs won't taste nice...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read that in Morocco, they only smoke the bracs, all else is returned to the garden. I have smoked a lot of seedy weed!

If the trichomes are the right color to harvest, try some. Even plants that were pollinated will produce smokable flower, you just have to watch for seeds and in general it will be slightly less potent and resin covered. Shouldn't effect the taste any. Looking closely at your cola, it almost looks like the flower tried to reveg itself, like the nighttime of 12 hours dark has gotten interrupted. Hopefully you have 12 hour or close to 12 hours of darkness each night.

Comment

No worries mate - I think I'll just dry some and test her out Thanks so much for all your knowledge and help Cheers!

Comment

I had a few plants that I pollinated that did not produce a single seed, and 2 others that gave a ton of seed from the same male. Some I got only a few seed from, like 4 or 5, its odd to me but thats what mother nature is doing, some just dont make seed.

Comment

I just helped a neighbor lady harvest a reveg plant with larfy fluffy buds looked just like that. We just trimmed up best we could removed dead leaf best we could and she's turning it into butter.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Nice one! I made the decision this morning to pull them out. I think I'll do the same, bubble hash or butter. They're nice big plants which is a shame it's not all smokable but it's all a learning phase haha.

Comment

From the look of the smooth leaves around the buds i would guess the plant is the pictures are hermie also

Comment

• Fritzle
                Fritzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm what does this mean for the quality of the smoke? I'm a noob to all of this hehe. Cheers in advance

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X