Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your experience, does low humidity produce trichomes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In your experience, does low humidity produce trichomes?

I was just reviewing GWE's article about trichomes. I'm at the end of this grow but like to arm myself with knowledge for the next one. My temps are mid-upper 70's and the natural humidity hovers <40%. I'm pretty pleased with what I have but would never turn down MORE/BIGGER trichomes!
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

There is a reported but unproven theory that water stressing (withholding water) the plant can add to trichome production late in flower. But that is far different from humidity. Humidity and temp are what causes the stomata of the plant to open and close. This is how the plant regulates its water levels and absorbs nutrients. With too high of humidity, they close up and the plant stops drinking. Too low of humidity and they remain open, pumping water from the roots to escaping the stomata back into the air. Sounds good, but you don't want to leave the gates wide open, the plant will work too hard and increase of nutrient burn and other ill effects typically follow.

Comment

Its suppose to so i read but unless u could do a side by side comparison would u know also lowering night time temps also i read by manipulating your ph levels brings out colours in your plants more acidic brings red and pinks alkaline yellow neutral ph purples higher ph blues mate

Comment

Kinda but not really imo. I think high humidity hinders trich production more than low humidity gives you more tho you could argue that to be semantics. I do believe UVB does as my LEC gave me more trichs than my hps in approximately same humidity. Also make sure light is not being blocked by glass as glass filters UVB. And some strains are just have more trichs naturally.

Comment

UVB will increase trichome production. It is the plants defense system response to the damaging light spectrum. So UVB in limited doses can definitely be manipulated to increase trichome production.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadWestport View Post
            UVB will increase trichome production. It is the plants defense system response to the damaging light spectrum. So UVB in limited doses can definitely be manipulated to increase trichome production.
            I'm aware of that. My Grower's Choice 315W LEC light does a great job, so I have that base covered. Have you personally experienced trichome enhancement from intentionally lowering humidity?
            A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• ChadWestport
              ChadWestport commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I haven't personally experienced that. I do also live in a somewhat moist climate so rarely does it get below 50%.

• Tersky
              Tersky commented
              Editing a comment
              Not me either. Only thing that increased resin production for me was the UVB.

You should keep the humidity down during flowering anyway to avoid bud rot.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X