Help! Odd Seedling Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Odd Seedling Issues

Hi! I germed 6 seeds the other day, and 5 of them popped up within a day... 4 of them look fine but I have issues w 2 of them.

1.) 1st seed issue.. the fem AK seed had the helmet on for a long time..possibly too long...it was at an angle so the cotyledons were poking out the sides of the shell getting light but where the first set of serrated leaves are supposed to come up it was blocking them... it wouldn’t fall off on its own so a couple days ago I misted it and blew on it slightly until it fell off (I know.. I’m not supposed to interfere or manually remove he shell...but I read some posts that said this is fine to do..) I’m wondering if it will just never be able to produce the serrated leaves and therefore I should start over? Or... will it just take a while? It’s been 3 days and still looks the same with larger cotyledons and nothing else... I’ve never seem a seedling like this before.

2.) 2nd seed issue— fem Gelato- after germinating in paper towel for 2 days a 1cm rap root popped out and I planted 1/2 inch like the others. It never came up the next day like the other 5. I waited 3-4 more days.. still nothing.. so, despite knowing you shouldn’t mess w a seed under ground, I decided to see what it looked like. It turns out it was a little deeper than I remember planting it and the dirt was packed a little too much I think. The crazy thing to me was that the tap root was the exact same length as it was 4 days earlier when I took them out of The paper towel. I received some free feminized Gelato seeds for buying others so maybe they are of lesser quality and that is the issue here. Anyway; they were free so I was ok w experimenting to see what the seed looked like after 4 days under dirt. I used tweezers and now put it back in dirt. I’m wondering if I would be better off putting it back in paper towel method until taproot gets longer? Or maybe just pop another one and call this 1 a dud? Any ideas on why this one didn’t ever grow? Any help here OTHER than telling me that I shouldn’t be using paper towels to germ are welcome. I’ve just seen a lot of posts regarding people having germinating issues and the thread always turns into an argument over putting seeds directly into soil vs using paper towel to pop first. I realize they both work.. this is the first time paper towel method has let me down..if you want to call it that...I’m more curious about what happened here and/or if there is still hope for this little stagnant seed. Thanks all!

Just leave them to it see what happens another week mate some seeds just dont germinate if got tap root it should grow i do paper towel just think more control and they will grow diffrent slower faster mate

Comment

Planting half inch below surface is too deep. Only need to plant seeds just below soil just slightly above length of seed.
      3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
      Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
      Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
      Couple of fans for airflow
      First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
      Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
      Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

You've got a steady hand. If I tried that with tweezers the seed would be across the room somewhere.

Comment

First of all, getting 5 out of 6 to pop is pretty damn good. Secondly, I have used a toothpick to pop the helmet if it doesn't release and retards the emergence of the cotyledons, with no adverse effects. I don't like to do it but I have. Third, leave the Gelato alone and give it time. Seeds popping in one day is not the norm. I have had them take up to two weeks.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X