Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what happens to rooted clones that are planted in nutrient-rich soil, in roomy containers, placed under lights that they like on 18/6 and then just have water thrown at them.
    Gremlins.
    They turned unhappy at both ends. I noticed last night that they had the first yellowing bottom leaves...hungry. Hangry. And, ooo, a tad crispy up top. Yikes.
    The Universe intervened on my behalf. "She needs more clones like she needs a bump on the head" Don't want to take clones from plants that aren't happy. I also don't exactly need clones. I need these to stay alive and happy and healthy. And somewhat less enthusiastic.

Instead got a lesson about what happens when plants that get too close to the lights, even for a little while. Different strains react differently to light but there is one thing they all hate and that's being burned before their time.

More research is needed on my part about the lights that did this to them, since they worked well, even though that's not what I wanted them to do right now. They will be what I need some other time. Maybe even in a few weeks when that other tent ramps up.
    LEDs are being discussed by many and at great length in the forum.
    The lights in the veg tent were listed as 100W grow bulbs. Anyone who has read more than 3 forum posts about LED lights knows the wattage listed is not a true number, nor is there any apparent standard. To figure out the scientific conversion is above my pay-grade.
    LEDs are what they are and these are what I used to veg my plants for the first grow before the tent happened. They loved those 100w LED screw-in bulbs.

So why was I surprised when their offspring reacted the same way to those particular lights?
    Because I am not as bright as these LEDs.

Cropped by several inches. Gave them some water first to sorta hydrate them, and then topped each up with new soil, then fed full-strength nutes and BTI.
    (I am done messing around with those stupid gnats. If I see a gnat, they are all getting BTI.)
    A few weeks ago I found a vintage Costco box of CFL 65W outdoor floods (Only uses 15 watts of energy!) I've been hauling for at least 10 years and now I can finally use them. Took out the 100w LEDs and replaced with CFL. I thought I was going to have to will them to someone The actual light will work or it won't .
    Did a temp test using a covered seedling tray with a hygrometer/thermometer inside. Passed with flying colors. 78F. Yay! Excellent for winter.

I want the to stay small and bushy and happy, but to do that they will my help. These are some needy weeds, my friends.
    We'll see how they do with the full strength nutrients. If I killed them, whoops.
    I got a whole mess of them next door ready to volunteer with new branches.

Last edited by AccidentalGardener; 09-10-2020, 11:50 PM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X