X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent fan speed controller?

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for all your patience and help with my first grow 😁
    I just bought full tent, light and ventilation kit from Spider Farmer, and the tent and light are great, but the fan is loud, and when I turn it down with the supplied “universal motor speed control” it pulses on and off which is even more annoying than having it full blast.
    I don’t know if this is just a bad speed controller, or due to the fact most controllers use pulse width modulation?
    can anyone recommend a reasonably priced fan speed controller that doesn’t do this please? 😊
    The fan is a GDF100-P (pictured) if that helps and I’ve also taken a pic of the supplied controller.
    Thanks all 😁

just a thought..You might want to send the manufacture an e-mail. Perhaps it is designed to pulse at the lowest setting.. My fan only slows down to maybe 1/2 speed or a little less.

Comment

• Venkman
      Venkman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I emailed the supplier and they asked for a video of the issue, which I sent, and then they refunded me for it, which was pretty good of them, just looking for a replacement that works better 🙂

I've just had a fan speed controller with a temp probe delivered today Unfortunately it doesn't work quite how i wanted it too. It's a swift air one. Reason i got it with a temp probe was to help get my temps to be a little more stable as occasionally my temps get to 32 degrees when lights are on and my fan isn't the quietest, (rated 52db) although its a little quieter with the acoustic ducting. The problem with mine is that although you can set a minimum speed, when temps get above what is set (max 30c) fans kicks into full speed. I think if i was to look for another one i would leave the temp monitor out of it and just get a controller that works more like a light dimmer so i could set it at a lower constant speed rather than low with a full boost when needed. Just something to consider if you look at any with temp adjustments on.
    3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
    Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
    Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
    Couple of fans for airflow
    First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
    Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
    Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

Im personally a huge fan of the AC infinity fans, cloud line series. A little more expensive, but boy are they worth it. You can set alarms so if it reaches a certain temp or humidity level in your grow, it will turn itself up to correct the problem and then go back down to the preset speed you had it at. All with a nice visual display of temp and humidity on a big lcd screen.

It's also good to buy way more fan than you need. Running fans at a low setting drastically reduces the noise made by fans. So go big and you'll still have room to expand later with it.

Comment

• Venkman
        Venkman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, will definitely take a look at them, they sound great (pun intended haha)
        Last edited by Venkman; 09-12-2020, 04:00 PM.

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        The Growcast podcast is sponsored by AC Infinity, I forget the coupon code, but if you listen and grab it, 15% off your order. I'm not affiliated with that podcast, but I enjoy listening to it.

• Venkman
        Venkman commented
        Editing a comment
        Legend, thanks for your help 😁

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X