X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Bud feel soft in curing jars

Help for a newbie please -
    I harvested and dried ok
    Bud has been curing and burping daily for 2 weeks, but feels soft. Definitely not wet, but too soft to grind or even to crumble for decarbing.
    Is this normal?
    What should I do?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Redtomato; 09-08-2020, 10:28 AM.

Yea it’s normal. You need to cure it longer.
    2 weeks it’s really not enough...
    and also if you putt the Buds in the jar too soon, then yea of course it will take longer than two weeks
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I’d leave the jars open or preferably empty them and let the buds dry a little more. I have a batch that is that way and it has been curing for two months. Next time I’ll know.
      4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

• Redtomato
        Redtomato commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that
        I’m assuming it should be a much drier consistency, as it would be impossible to grind/crumble at the moment
        Do you think it does actually need drying out more? Or just curing for longer?

I think drying more just from looks and sound of it
      4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

On my first cure, I dried until I thought it was about right, then put it in jars. After a few days, I got paranoid and ordered some of those mini hygrometers from Amazon. Turns out the stuff I thought I had over dried was good-58%, and some of the other jars were running as high as 68%, and might have moulded on me. The 68% felt soft.
        They’re worth the 20$, until you get a feel for what 55-62% feels like.
        they should feel dry(scratchy) not soft, but not crumbly either

Comment

• Redtomato
          Redtomato commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that - Strangely enough I’d just ordered one!
          Just to clarify - 55-62% is what I should be aiming for inside the cure jars?

I’ve read that some people will go as low as 50, but generally yeah. I believe it takes longer to cure if the humidity is lower. I’m trying to keep mine closer to 60.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          It doesnt take longer to cure if the humidity is low. Quite the oppesite. I have 30% RH and 2-3 days om the drying rack they are dry enough to go in the jar. Higher the humidity the longer cure and dry you have..

I was referring to once it was dried already, and curing in jars. I thought that the bud would cure lower at 50% rh in the jars than the optimal 62%. Sorry if this was wrong red tomato

Comment

This was just what I was thinking about the curing process and the humidity. No need to be sorry though 🤔

green tomato
          Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
          You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Fried green tomato

Comment

I dried my last batch for ten days hanging in the basement with an air conditioner blowing towards them and didn't put them into jars until small stems snapped when bent. RH in the room stayed around 45-50%. The bud I've tried won't burn my throat and burns down to white ash. I can't remember the name of those little humidity buffering packets but I'd definitely get some of those and let the jars stay open longer than a few minutes and maybe up to a half-hour to burp every day until they get right.
              Coconut Grove
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
              32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
              Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

58-62% inside the jar is the sweet spot. If they're too moist to grind, the moisture content of the flower is to high, as is the risk of mold. A Boveda pack will
                reduce RH in the jar but you'll be better off placing in a paper bag or spreading out on a tray with light air circulation to remove excess moisture before
                jarring with your packs. Lids with built in hygrometers are useful as are hygrometers you can place in the jar. I treat my bud like my women and horses and never put 'em up wet. Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

Yeah I use the boost 62 that way takes the guessing game out of it. If they seem soft just leave the jar lid off for an hour or so each burp. That works for me.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	15996166043416318322549601783446.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	446044
                  Attached Files
                  4x4 w/ Mars hydro fc-e4800
                  1x Slapz
                  1x Quikz
                  2x red runtz
                  1x flo-see
                  1x 2B blunt
                  1x persian pie

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitGDF View Post
                    Yeah I use the boost 62 that way takes the guessing game out of it. If they seem soft just leave the jar lid off for an hour or so each burp. That works for me.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	15996166043416318322549601783446.jpg Views:	16 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	446044
                    Yep, Bovida 62 for my buds. They cure to perfection at 60-62%, too dry to mold but ready for the Vape. Put two packets in the jar when you start the cure, burp em daily for a week or two then they'll settle into a perfect long term storage 60%.

They cost about $15 for ten packets. Worth every penny.
                    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X