Cooking mites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking mites

I'm wondering if hibernating spidermite queens can be killed with extreme heat & what temperature would it take to ensure the dead was done?

Crickets 🦗!!
    420Chicano ( Auto Flower Run ) before Xmas!
    Fox farm Ocean 🌊Forrest 3gallon Fabric pots
    2 Lemon Skunk Plants
    (Maybe AONL ) if Seed sprouts (waiting) 😊☝️
    CFL/Led lights set up...taking these girls pretty close to Couch Lock 🔐

Comment

Fire would do great

Comment

Reason for asking is back in March I was given an old generic 1000 blurple light (150w) I brought it home & dead ladybugs in it made me ask & find out he'd had spidermites 6mos earlier. I put it in a black trash bag, & in an unused car. Windows up on a lot of 90°+ days ever since. I bet it hit at least 150..... probably hotter for a week at a time at least twice.
        Y'all think it's safe to use now?

Comment

Yikes. Tough call. What I'd do to salvage that light is put it in a small space and detonate a bug bomb designed to kill everything-including the mites. It will hopefully permeate the places where the Borg like to hang out. Heat doesn't sound like the way to go...they seem to like it hot!

Comment

Rub the whole thing in pure alcohol and let it dry up. They should be killed all of them.
            Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
            You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Well, heat is bad for the LEDs, can shorten their life or kill them, and it could have reached 180*F+ in the car. I would also not let anything get on the LEDs as that to can damage them. My mars hydro warns of sulfur on the LEDs. I would check with the MFG to see what they say you can use to clean them with.
              And my question would be "how long can they hibernate?"

Comment

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                I've read that they can hibernate for a yr or even 2 is why I wonder if heat can kill em when they're sleepin.
                I did not know that on the shortening the lights lifespan, I was following the advice given me on here when I 1st got it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X