Root growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root growth

Someone posted something like they weren’t growing a plant early on they were growing roots. That made a lot of sense to me and I’ve seen others post with the same idea. I’ve done some research on root development but would like to hear from some of you. What are your best tips, tricks, or products for the fastest strongest root development?
    If I had done a little more research I probably would have started with photos, I would like to grow autos (well) but I’ve found if you want a really good harvest you need as close to a flawless grow as possible a good root system as soon as possible would be the keystone to that flawless grow in my mind.

I always set young plants on a heat mat to keep the roots warm until I transplant them. Clones go into a starter cube under a humidity dome that I place on the heat mat. Seeds I prefer to sprout in 8oz styrofoam cups with a bag overtop of them sitting on a heat mat. Once they sprout I remove the bag, give them 2wks to grow then transplant. I’ve did the last autos I grew the same way with much better results than sprouting them in their final pot.

Comment

I'm a root framer, you want to talk about soil or coco? Autos of photos?
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve always just cruised along and let the plant do it’s thing in no real hurry. Your method is like getting behind the wheel of a stick shift with some power under the hood putting your foot down in it tearing through the gears fast as possible which is pretty badass. Excellent explanation of the reasoning to do it that way. How long do you let them go before flowering once into the 5 gallon?

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        bboyfromwayback
        It really depends on the plant and can depend of how fast I need it, mostly I find a 6 to 8 weeks spell after I hit the 5 gallon is about prefect for my grow space by then the roots are pruning on the pots and im lined out for plant training, as you know Flipping can be done at anytime but I find that a plant being aloud to reach sexual maturity in veg produce better so instead of Flipping at 6 weeks like most do I veg minimum 8 to 10 weeks at my house. I did do a photoperiod in a 5 gallon airpot with this up potting method and flipped at roughly 4 week from germination, yield was 240 grams of bud, it finished just as fast as most the autos at around 90days, so you can push it and produce.

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I agree, mature plants produce better quality bud in my opinion and prefer a 8wk veg. I’m going to give your seedling method next time I pop some photos. Thanks for the input. Very informative!

I totally moisten my 2 gallon geopot filled with Promix soil as soon as I begin germination - put it in the tent to acclimatize - plant seed into soil with the pointy side down.
      Once it's above ground - i give it about a cup of water a day.
      Once the bottom part of the soil is dry dry dry - about 3 days up usually cuz the air is a moving in my tent. Then I give phed water until I get runoff - this will encourage the roots to grow to the sides of the pot.

For the next week or so she won't grow much as she is growing her roots - but usually after about 5 days she'll need another watering - this time with full strength nutes.

And yer off to the next stage......
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Xena
        Xena commented
        Editing a comment
        For autos I have 3 gal smart pots and have good air flow in my tent. How about your light? My MH ts1000 says three feet for seedlings which is where I was this time but was getting some light burn at 100% and had to cut back to about 60% and slowly increase. Finally after about ten days I got back to 100%.

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        I set my seedlings at 34 inches below the light - they sit like that for about 4 or 5 days let them get used to the flowering part of the light cuz at that small they don't really like that part of the light. But I have bigger plants growing. Once they get growing I move them to 24 inches.

Mr.furley Canuck147 thankyou both

Comment

Yeah all I've been doing is studying videos and posts. I get obsessed with experience and knowledge. Thanks for everyone's input
        4x4 w/ Mars hydro fc-e4800
        1x Slapz
        1x Quikz
        2x red runtz
        1x flo-see
        1x 2B blunt
        1x persian pie

Comment

I give my seedlings new home a liberal dusting of mycorrhizae. Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X