Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil and Hydro

Hello all I’m going to be doing a little experiment
    Im gonna run 3 platinum gorilla seeds by in-house 1 will be in hydro and I’m going to do the other 2 in soil to compare the 2 types of mediums.

I’ve never grown in soil so I’m a little confused on how to mix the nutes and water and ph.
    when I do my hydro I always mix it all in the Dwc then ph it to about 5.5 because once the water hits oxygen it usually rises a few points.

So basically what I’m asking is do I need to aerate the water to bring out the ph in the water or nah?

this seems confusing but I think you guys will understand what I’m asking lol

I mix it all in the same bucket making sure I add any organic or microbial ferts I have before the other. Exp. I use fox farm trio. I add big bloom first since it is the only organic part then I add the grow big or tiger bloom pending stage of growth. Then I ph to 6.3

Comment

You can do whatever you want but i use ph Up to bring my ph.... up...Also if your ph rises so fast that you need to ph lower then turn down your air pump as it is agitating it too much. It should stay relatively stable only rising a tad after several days, not a few points if no plants are in it (plants up-taking nutes also changes ph). Only reason you should aerate water is if you have a reservoir with nutes for a hydroponic system. I mean you can do it but it seems like a waste of energy.

BTW hydro will grow slightly faster than soil but also shows issues faster than soil. That is if you do things correctly.

Comment

Dissolved oxygen won’t be enough to keep ph in the right range. I would use ph up to rise to 6.5 and then aerate if you want to. That oxygen will be used fast and the ph will stabilize. All of this considering the ph of the soil is between 6-7 if you mix your own soil better to do some slush tests before hand to consider when mixing nutrients. For example the soil could be very acidic if it’s full with nutrients so you would need to feed at a ph high enough to stabilize at 6.5 when mixed with nutrient solution

Comment

So I’ve a few weeks in now and the soil grows are going swell..

I see a lot of growers like brewing their water in this bucket that spins the water like a cyclone. Is that a necessary tool to have in order to grow soil?

I’ve been just filling up my jug with water and ph down to about 6.5 then use that for the soil is that sufficient or should I be aerating this water like these other people?

Comment

Therookie My first two grows were in soil and I hand watered. Now I grow with the Autopot system. It's not for everyone but I like it. I'm not sure about the bucket that spins water like a cyclone. Haven't seen that one I don't think. You don't have to aerate the water in your water jug. Are you taking any steps to remove the chlorine and chloramines from the water. Some let it set for 24 hours so the chlorine can off gas. Can you post a pic?
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Hey Therookie these hydro folks know their shit, i do not know hydro. I grow in soils i will help when you get going if needed do make a new post when you get started and keep it all in that post we really enjoy mixing it up with the grows. Best of luck we will be here to help.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X