Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 6 Straight from Seed- Top Fed DWC HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Day 6 Straight from Seed- Top Fed DWC HELP!

I have two plants in rapid rooters, sitting on hydroton, in an 18 gallon tote. (Followed Rosemans Bubbleponics directions except instead of 10 gallon tote and 5 gallons of water, I did 18 gallon tote with 9 gallons of water). I’m on day 6 from seed straight into the rapid rooter, and I’ve provided pics of what they look like. No nutrients in the water, because the Roseman forum says to add first nutrient 1/4 recommended dose after 1 week, during the first reservoir change. These strains are gorilla skittlez auto and purple punch auto. Are these how these plants supposed to look on day 6 straight from seed? I’m not seeing much growth, I haven’t been checking the PH level because there’s nothing in the water yet. I have one root that is almost about to touch the water (net pot is about a good 4-5 inches from the water. I have a 600w led vipaspectra light above the seedlings at 23”, 60% light. I guess I’m just looking for, should I see more growth by now, or will they speed up after they hit the oxygenated water, or when I do the first reservoir change with the added 1/4th nutrients? It’s like they opened up, and then stopped with the growing of the leaves, but I guess the root is getting longer and towards the water. Also, the top fed system, it’s not a slow drip. It’s like a constant flow of water to the rapid rooters. I got the same manifold as what Roseman mentions to get, and it says to keep the valves turned all the way on. When I slightly press the rooters, they are filled with water. But the main root has already surpassed the bottom of the net pot. I’m just wondering if I should see more growth by now. It’s also in a 2x4 tent, and the light cycle is 18/6.

Howdy DavShoe16, I have been growing in a Bubblephonics setup for nine grows now. First; what brand or type of nutrients are you using? I am using the GH MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom with some of the supplements (Ar Si, FloraliciousPlus, FloraNector, Diamond Nector, Liquid KoolBloom, and Dry KoolBloom) and I have been using them at the full recommended (by GH feeding schedule) strength without any problems, I also insulate the reservoirs and use ice bottles to keep the water temperature down (between 62° F and 70° F) and , to block out all light leaks, I cover the pebbles with aluminum foil.
    One question, what is the netting and rocks for on top of the reservoir for?
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DavShoe16
      DavShoe16 commented
      Editing a comment
      The netting will be tied down to the posts inside the tent once the plantS gets bigger so I can LST them. I haven’t used any nutrients so far, but I have the fox farm trio for hydroponics.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good idea to use the netting for LST tie downs. I have small eye screws (3/8 inch diameter by 5/8 long) screwed into the top to tie to

DW2 today is Day 8 from seed, 2nd day with 1/4th nutes from fox farm. Not much growth from day 6, but the tap roots are now touching the res water so I turned off the top feed. Had to throw in some iced water bottles to cool the water temp down.

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep the water pump running for the entire grow, but I use the rockwool cubes and have the water tube at the bottom of the cubes to help direct the roots downward growth and to keep the cubes from becoming water logged, giving algae a place to grow and causing stem rot. I do not use the rapid rooters because they hold in water and the organic matter (peat moss) can get into the reservoir causing problems, I always start my seeds in a wet paper towel. Let the sprout and then place them into the cubes, no guess work or wondering whether the seeds sprouted or not.

DW2 you know when you leave your clothes I’m the washing machine and you forgot to put them in the dryer, you know that smell? I’m getting that slight smell from my res. It’s only been day 2 for nutes, the tap roots are still growing, I’m just wondering is this smell usual..

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      How much air are You running in the reservoirs? I have four 4 inch long by 2 inch diameter air stones in each reservoir. If You are getting a musty moldy smell from the reservoir then there are some unwelcome things growing in it. Try adding four ounces of hydrogen peroxide to the reservoir and see if the smell goes away. Keeping the temperature down below 70° F will also help to keep the reservoir smelling fresh
      Last edited by DW2; 08-25-2020, 01:01 PM. Reason: additional information

DW2 i bought a new tote. Spray Painted the inside and outside of the tote white, to help with temperature. I cut the holes for the air pump lines a lot more flush, to where no light could get in. I got a new lid, and cut only two holes for the net pots, more flush to where no light can get in (previous lid I had I cut out a spot to pour the water in and the flap I cut just laid over the whole- leaving room for light to leak in). I also taped up the lid with aluminum foil/hvac tape. Also, I super glued a mercury water temp gauge to the inside of the tote. Since it’s an 18 gallon tote with 9 gallons of water, my two air stones sitting on the bottom of the tote much likely isn’t producing enough bubbles at the surface, so I’m going to put two cinder blocks in the tote to raise the two air stones.

Now, my question is- do I start over with new seeds? Or do I move the net pots over, that could already possibly have mold or rot in them? And if I should just transfer the current plants, since the cotyledons haven’t turned yellow yet (I’ve already started adding 1/4th nutes but haven’t seen much growth), should I revert back to starting with just ph’d water until I see the cotyledons turn yellow or see more leaves? Or if I do transfer them should I just start with fresh water and continue with the 1/4th nutes?

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      You could rinse the roots with the H2O2 just before moving them to the new setup. Once the light leaks are closed up and the temperature kept down, the smelly sutff will die off. No since 'throwing the baby out with the wash water! I'll post a couple fo pics of my reservoirs for Your amusement or guidance LOL!

DavShoe16 Here are my reservoir setups, 10 gallon totes (using 6 gallons) with five 3 3/4 inch net pots and one modified net pot for the ice bottles and adding the nutriment mix and/or water top off. The ice bottle holder is a 3 3/4 in. net pot with the bottom cut out, a stainless steel lanyard (to pull the bottle out), and a cover to block out the light. I had a problem with the bottles floating away requiring the lid to be lifted to get them out, so I came up with the 'holder' to prevent the drifting away.
    I hope that this might help You out,
    Attached Files
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X