Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for beginner's first setup (not yet bought).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for beginner's first setup (not yet bought).

Hi all.
    Like the title says, SWIM is a beginner in marijuana growing. SWIM wants to grow for his own sake, not to sell, hence a small setup should suffice for him. SWIM lives in a cold country, where winter are cold and summer are okayish. SWIM thinks of growing indoor for now, and he's wondering if the setup he selected is actually good, or if there are any traps/unecessary expenditures there.
    Here's the setup:
    1 tent BlackBoxSilver 120x120x200cm. 135unit (count unit as dollars/euros)
    2 SuperPlant CFL 300W 2100k°. 70 unit per bulb. =140
    2 SuperPlant CFL 300W 6400k°. Again 70 unit per bulb. =140
    Ph kit, ph up, ph down, ~20 units. (normal Ph kit with paper.)
    Nutrients grow + bloom ~35 units.
    Timer for lights. 15units
    Fan ~25 units
    cables for lights 13 units per bulb = 2 bulb at any given time = 26units.

Total of ~536 units in cost.

SWIM think of growing two plants per two plants in this space, is it too much, not enough? (SWIM plans to LST)
    SWIM also would like to know if its a good idea to take two CFL bulbs of 300W each, -hence less cost for cables, extender, sockets-, SWIM saw some bulbs of 300W that does both 2100k° and 6400k°, he deducted that for those bulbs there's actually 150w of 2100k° and 150w of 6400k°, since he wants 300W per plant he thought of taking the other bulbs (2 of 2100k° and 2 of 6400k°) for greater yields.
    SWIM reallllly dont want to bother about MH/HPS, for the size of the contraption that comes with it. Less portable than two CFL bulbs (SWIM might move at any time from his house, nevermind for the plants.)
    SWIM would like your general opinion on the setup also, the price (536 units), the result for that price etc.
    SWIM wonders if it would generate enough heat to survive during winter, room ~4°c - ~14°c.
    Thank you for reading this and thank you for helping, in advance.
    (SWIM = Someone Who Isn't Me, for some who might not understand)
    P.S: SWIM wants to buy very soon. This week or next week, depending on your answer and adjusting, if need be.
    Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

hello sounds good to me. everyone has to start some were. sounds like SWIM has read enough and has enough knowledge to make that set up work for him a friend of mine uses cfl (just normal 24w house blubs 2100k/3000k/6400k and about 30 if them )and gets great results ..... on the heat concern i would probably invest in a small space heater with a programmable thermostat just to be sure it stays warm enough when needed hope this helps your buddy SWIM

Comment

Hi,
      definitely helped, SWIM will consider investing in a heater, but he's concerned about the electricity bills. -then again with two CFL for a total of 600W the bill WILL go up... What's a heater more, to ensure the health of the plants-
      Thank you for your response. If anyone else has anything to add, SWIM is still listening.

EDIT (to avoid unnecessary bumps in the forum):
      SWIM wonders if 200w per plant during the vegetative state is enough? That would cut down the cost to 35 unit per bulb of 6400k° instead of 70.
      Last edited by Minoo96; 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM.
      Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

It cost me 50 us "units" to build this 350watt light with fans

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1842.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	43793

Name:	IMG_1843.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	43794

Name:	IMG_1844.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	43795

Comment

Hi, extremely interesting indeed. SWIM already looked to do something like this and came up with a veeeery high cost, SWIM does not have big places like Walmart close by (not at all in fact)
          Here is his calculations:
          1 bulb 23w = 8 units
          10 bulbs 230w= 80 units
          15 bulbs 345w = 120 units. Just this, is too much. Searching for another bulb.

After looking closely to your pictures, he determined there's 6 bulbs, for 350w so it comes down to ~60w per bulb.
          SWIM looked online for bulbs of 60w, he could not find any that he could buy. The closest thing he could find was 125W for 30 units, or 47w for 27 units. SWIM gives up.
          Thank you for the input and the pictures.
          SWIM is still listening in anyone wants to add something.

EDIT:
          1 bulb of 125w= 30 units
          2 bulb for 250w= 60 units
          3 bulb for 375w= 90 units
          4 bulb for 500w= 120 units.
          SWIM felt the need to mention it, in case some are lazy to do the calculations (or too high)
          Last edited by Minoo96; 01-17-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck. I found the bulbs very cheap. In the pic there's only 6 bulbs cause it's on a seedling but when I put the other 4 then its 350watt so they are 8 x 30watt and 2 x 65watt

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I found a supermarket that was selling "home brand" CFL at 3x2. So I spent 30 US dollars on 15 bulbs. I already had the other 5

SWIM changed his mind about the bulbs, he think he will go with 2x125W 6400k° for the vegetative state and 3x125W 2100K° for the flowering stage, per plant!
          The main reason behind this change is the fact that 3 bulbs are more easy to adjust than one. If a part is shadowy, he can move a single bulb in response to it.

That, of course, change the calculation,
          bulb of 125W = ~25 units (not 30 as mentioned above, different brand).
          2 bulb of 125w for vegetative state = 50 units
          3 bulb for a total of 375w for flowering stage = 75
          total of 125 units per plant.
          At that add the price of the cable and socket, one for each bulb, to allow moving them independently from one another. 13 units x 3 (number of maximum bulb at any given time, aka flowering stage) = 39 units.
          125 cost of bulb + 39 cost of cables = 164 per plant. 2 plants = 326 units. Instead of 306 unit for four 300W bulb (70 units each) and 2 cables. 20 is not much of a difference, if the light can be adjust with more ease. Right?

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            True. Besides more bulbs will have a bigger footprint. Meaning the same intensity of light reaching several places at once instead of just one spot with high intensity and the rest with less light

• Minoo96
            Minoo96 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for confirming.

Let's see, if someone who isn't me were to throw out this idea I would say, "Let myself or I do it, me doesn't really want anything to do with it."
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X