Water and Nutes - Math is hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water and Nutes - Math is hard

Skip if you don’t like measuring water and nutes, but if you do your input would be appreciated.

1st grow, happy frog soil, getting ready to start feeding in week 3 with 2 and 3 gallon containers.

For watering, I’m going to water at 15% of container volume:
    1.1 liters of water for a 2 gallon pot,
    1.7 liters of water for a 3 gallon pot.

For feeding, going with biocanna nutes:
    2.2 ml Bio-Vega (Veg), 3.0 ml Bio-Flores (flower) for 2 gallon pot.
    3.2 ml Bio-Vega, 4.4 ml Bio-Flores for 3 gallon pot.

These amounts seem a good starting point based on my research but would appreciate input from some experienced growers.

Thanks and Peace.
    Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

Everything I've read recommends feeding half strength of the supplier recommendation. I'm using advanced nutrients myself and have been told a good starting point is 1/4 strength.

It's my first grow too and I've decided to use coco as a medium. Coco coir helps the gardener use high strength and high frequency nutrient feeding.

What I understand about the soil choice you've made is you're going to want to feed nutes and then water and alternate feed/water every 2/3 days. Be sure to focus your watering around the stem and not as much toward the outside of.the pot. Smaller plant in a bigger container means the roots havent established to reach the outside of the pot yet.

15% seems low to me for amount of water to use. Where did you come up with that number?

Comment

Also, if you measure you're medium to a more accurate liter size, you can measure nutes better. Gonna have a little room at the top of the pot. Helps the soil dry faster so you can water more often. Don't want your soil staying overly moist

Comment

Covid420 Thank you for this info, very helpful.
        Folks commenting on other sites say they water between 10% to 20% of pot size, and even 50% which seems too much.
        As I gain more experience I’ll rely more on feel to figure out watering but right now I’m just looking for a starting range.

Great info, thank you
        Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

Comment

The best way to do it and learn it. Is just to do it ?
          look at your plants every time you feed them. You will now right away what the plant are telling you.
          I never go by a “schedule” I look at my plants and they will tell what they want, or if they had too much nutrients.
          All strain is different and have different needs also..
          Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
          You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I don't hand water anymore. I grow with the Auto Pot system. But, when I was hand feeding I went by the thumbnail rule of watering when the container felt light and the soil was dry at 1"-2". I didn't think about the capacity of the pot and poured on the water until I saw some run-off and then quit. If you haven't already go over to the GWE web site and search how to water. There's lots of good guidance there. And the Captain is right...
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
              I don't hand water anymore. I grow with the Auto Pot system. But, when I was hand feeding I went by the thumbnail rule of watering when the container felt light and the soil was dry at 1"-2". I didn't think about the capacity of the pot and poured on the water until I saw some run-off and then quit. If you haven't already go over to the GWE web site and search how to water. There's lots of good guidance there. And the Captain is right...
              How do you like the auto pot? What brand nutes do you use? What medium? I'll be using one myself. How often do you drain off the end valve and how much?

Comment

• golfnrl
                golfnrl commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the auto pot system. Very simple. I needed it because I was trying to rig up an automatic watering system to fit my work travel schedule. That's not much of a problem right now. I use CX Horticulture nutrients. Since the system is considered a hydro operation I use the CX Hydro parts A and B, Regeneroot, Mighty Growth Enhancer, Mighty Bloom Enhancer, Head Masta. My grow medium is 50/50 FoxFarm Ocean Forest blend soil and perlite. The last grow I opened the end valve once, for about 10 seconds. That was it. I did clean the reservoir when I did the switch to flower cause I didn't like the odor. Easy peasy.

CaptainWiese91 is correct in the way he waters - I do the same - and for my autoflowers I use full strength nutes.
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Let's not over complicate this feeding OK. Cheeba When i water&feed i don't want all of it to wash out drain out. I just want a tiny runoff with the food to me it's wasteful to see a gallon of it's food drain out i want it to hold in soil for abit when i just give water then i want to see what the runoff looks like so i give enough to see at least 20% volume of water and i see " brown" come out that means it's removing my brown feeding cause when i really flush my water is clear at run off.
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X