Discovering Coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Discovering Coco

I planned on using fox farms ocean forest and wouldnt put seeds or seedlings in that hot soil and risk burning them. So I decided to use coco coir as my first medium for transplants. Little did I know that it is a blank medium with no nutritional value. And I was using 0 ppm RO water. I was having slow growth and couldn't figure it out.

Then I researched coco coir a little more. Discovered you have to feed at an early age. I already bought a liter of every advanced nutriennutrients available. (I'm in canada so unfortunalety, health canada has banned voodoo, tarantula, pirhana, nirvana, mother nature tea)

Needless to say I started feeding my girls and realized that growing cannabis in anything other than coco coir and practicing frequent fertigating just isn't enough. If you have the time and the money to upkeep such a grow I think i would recommend.

It is my first grow so my advice may not hold much ground. However, my results will speak for themselves, hoping so!

Happy gardening kids! Here's some 48 hour growth feeding once in the morning with Sensi coco grow part A/B (1ml/L), Sensical(.5ml/L), B52 (.25ml/L) PH to 6.1 and ppm reading 260-300

dont forget cal mag if your nutes dont have it already. Cal mag is essential for coco and doubly so if you use RO or distilled water. Has to do with cation exchange blah blah. Basically cal mag prevents coco from holding on to other nutes keeping your plant form absorbing them. Better expained here: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/needcalmag/

"Coco is known as a neutral grow medium, but there are cation exchange sites in coco. These sites on the surface of the coco fibers will form bonds with particular nutrient cations. The cation exchange capacity of coco is unlike soil or other grow media. There are far fewer exchanges and the exchange sites will become stable (buffered) once they attach to Ca or Mg.

The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the sites have a weak hold on the Na and K cations. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. Once the cation exchange sites in coco have locked on to Ca or Mg, they are “buffered” and stay stable.

The cation exchange sites in unbuffered coco can pull nearly all the Ca and Mg out of a nutrient solution. If you try to grow cannabis plants in unbuffered coco, they will experience Ca deficiency. This is tough to correct while plants are growing because Cal Mag supplements have a strong impact on electrical conductivity (EC). As a result, the total dose of CalMag that you can provide is limited, even though it all may be going to the coco and none to the plant."

I too ran into issues when i first started with coco which is why i harp on the necessity of buffering coco and cal mag. It is all a learning process! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tersky View Post
      dont forget cal mag if your nutes dont have it already. Cal mag is essential for coco and doubly so if you use RO or distilled water. Has to do with cation exchange blah blah. Basically cal mag prevents coco from holding on to other nutes keeping your plant form absorbing them. Better expained here: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/needcalmag/

"Coco is known as a neutral grow medium, but there are cation exchange sites in coco. These sites on the surface of the coco fibers will form bonds with particular nutrient cations. The cation exchange capacity of coco is unlike soil or other grow media. There are far fewer exchanges and the exchange sites will become stable (buffered) once they attach to Ca or Mg.

The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the sites have a weak hold on the Na and K cations. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. Once the cation exchange sites in coco have locked on to Ca or Mg, they are “buffered” and stay stable.

The cation exchange sites in unbuffered coco can pull nearly all the Ca and Mg out of a nutrient solution. If you try to grow cannabis plants in unbuffered coco, they will experience Ca deficiency. This is tough to correct while plants are growing because Cal Mag supplements have a strong impact on electrical conductivity (EC). As a result, the total dose of CalMag that you can provide is limited, even though it all may be going to the coco and none to the plant."

I too ran into issues when i first started with coco which is why i harp on the necessity of buffering coco and cal mag. It is all a learning process! Good luck!
      Sensical is advance nutrients cal mag

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        ok sry i dont know the names of everything for AN nutes. Sounds like you got it under control!

😁 its senai cal xtra. All the micro nutrients too.

Comment

I’m a fellow coco lover. Just make sure when you feed them you soak them and get plenty of run off to avoid build up of salts etc in roots. I flush with plain water every other feed

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMike66 View Post
          I’m a fellow coco lover. Just make sure when you feed them you soak them and get plenty of run off to avoid build up of salts etc in roots. I flush with plain water every other feed
          I'm monitoring inflow and run off PH/PPM. Cocoforcannabis.com peep that if you haven't already. Right now I have about 40-50% run off. Seems kind of wasteful but YOLO. Probably cause of 50 50 coco perlite mix. I'm using 50 50 cause trying autopot system out.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X