Beginner help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner help needed

I started a plant a couple of months ago, I’m a total beginner. She’s got a bit out of control, around 7.5ft in height now. Im looking for some help, I was wondering if you could take a look at some pics and let me know how she is doing, what stage she is at and what I could do better if anything? I’m a total newbie to this so I appreciate your help! I didn’t really expect it to get this far, I only currently feed her 1 litre of water in the morning, 1 litre in the afternoon and 1 litre in the evening with 2ml grow and 2ml bloom. Any advice appreciated!

She's a beauty! I'm assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, so you can probably cut back on the "grow" nutrients in about a month but continue the "bloom" until about 2-3 weeks before the chop. For the last couple weeks, only water (at 6.2-6.9 pH) and about 5ml of blackstrap molasses per gallon. Great job! I'm amazed at the size of the plant vs. the size of the pot!

Comment

Thank you so much this is so reassuring and helpful! I’m actually based in the UK, london. This is just casually in my back garden but I never expected her to grow like this! Do you recommend I repot it? Thank you so much for the advice! Really helpful and super quick!

Comment

Great looking monster you created she is a beauty. Has she spent her life on the deck under that canopy? If so i'd leave her there she has done great. But knowing that the top is going to grow even more get ready for some real work now. She's going to need side supports and her top cola is going to need staked. Do you have a plan for when she begins to flower they do stretch and things are going to change in appearance all energy is going to focus on bud site.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thank you so much! She has spent her entire time on the decking, it’s open plan so although there’s a canopy there’s plenty of air! When you guys talk about top cola needing to be staked and additional support, I am genuinely being serious when I say I am an amateur. I planted a seed in this pot and this has happened. So please any step by step guidance with non techy words would be massively appreciated! I have no further plans at the moment other than leave it be and continue doing what I’m doing. I’ve come here for some guidance for the best possible outcome! Thank you so much in advance

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
            Great looking monster you created she is a beauty. Has she spent her life on the deck under that canopy? If so i'd leave her there she has done great. But knowing that the top is going to grow even more get ready for some real work now. She's going to need side supports and her top cola is going to need staked. Do you have a plan for when she begins to flower they do stretch and things are going to change in appearance all energy is going to focus on bud site.
            Thank you so much! She has spent her entire time on the decking, it’s open plan so although there’s a canopy there’s plenty of air! When you guys talk about top cola needing to be staked and additional support, I am genuinely being serious when I say I am an amateur. I planted a seed in this pot and this has happened. So please any step by step guidance with non techy words would be massively appreciated! I have no further plans at the moment other than leave it be and continue doing what I’m doing. I’ve come here for some guidance for the best possible outcome! Thank you so much in advance

Comment

Originally posted by F10werChyld View Post
              She's a beauty! I'm assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, so you can probably cut back on the "grow" nutrients in about a month but continue the "bloom" until about 2-3 weeks before the chop. For the last couple weeks, only water (at 6.2-6.9 pH) and about 5ml of blackstrap molasses per gallon. Great job! I'm amazed at the size of the plant vs. the size of the pot!

Thank you so much this is so reassuring and helpful! I’m actually based in the UK, london. This is just casually in my back garden but I never expected her to grow like this! Do you recommend I repot it? Thank you so much for the advice! Really helpful and super quick!

Comment

Originally posted by Firstattempthelp View Post
                I started a plant a couple of months ago, I’m a total beginner. She’s got a bit out of control, around 7.5ft in height now. Im looking for some help, I was wondering if you could take a look at some pics and let me know how she is doing, what stage she is at and what I could do better if anything? I’m a total newbie to this so I appreciate your help! I didn’t really expect it to get this far, I only currently feed her 1 litre of water in the morning, 1 litre in the afternoon and 1 litre in the evening with 2ml grow and 2ml bloom. Any advice appreciated!
                I'd stop feeding vegetative stage nutes and start feeding flower nutes exclusively now, by feeding veg nutes you are still asking her to grow bigger and they'll already double or triple in size by the end of bloom. That one is definitely still in vegetative stage and healthy as ever.

If I gather correctly youd like it not to be so tall? There are a few things you can do that will slow upward growth and encourage outward growth for more of a bush, even from a sativa. You can pinch and fold the top 1/3 of the plant at a 90°, supercropping in a sense. You could also cut the top off the plant altogether, say you wanted it closer to a 5 foot plant, cut the main stem at the height you want it at and itll still be taller, a severe topping method. Those examples are what I'd consider high stress training, or maybe even severe stress training, but they'll generally survive it.

You can also do some low stress training methods, if height isn't a huge issue, you could use the topping method as I mentioned above, but only do the very top, or even a node or two down from the top, remove the main "tip" of the top and itll produce two tops, but majorly slow upward growth. You can also tie it down, gently bending the plant in a northern direction so that the side of your plant will get bushy, in this method try to keep the stock from crimping anywhere, just a smooth bend. You could also cage train it, my personal favorite! Build a wire fence cage about 2.5-3' diameter and gently feed the branches out through the holes either level or slightly lower than where its growing from the main stalk, this will help make it a bush more than a tree, and you can also use multiple methods at the same time. Mine are all cage trained, topped, tied, super cropped and I defoliate a little bit usually daily (I have more than one big plant to work with), they will tolerate A LOT of abuse, be gentle, but dont feel like you'll kill it if you remove a few leaves, or break a branch or two. She looks great so far, and you are doing fantastic, I wish my first plant was anything like yours, but it definitely wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Smerft85 View Post

I'd stop feeding vegetative stage nutes and start feeding flower nutes exclusively now, by feeding veg nutes you are still asking her to grow bigger and they'll already double or triple in size by the end of bloom. That one is definitely still in vegetative stage and healthy as ever.

If I gather correctly youd like it not to be so tall? There are a few things you can do that will slow upward growth and encourage outward growth for more of a bush, even from a sativa. You can pinch and fold the top 1/3 of the plant at a 90°, supercropping in a sense. You could also cut the top off the plant altogether, say you wanted it closer to a 5 foot plant, cut the main stem at the height you want it at and itll still be taller, a severe topping method. Those examples are what I'd consider high stress training, or maybe even severe stress training, but they'll generally survive it.

You can also do some low stress training methods, if height isn't a huge issue, you could use the topping method as I mentioned above, but only do the very top, or even a node or two down from the top, remove the main "tip" of the top and itll produce two tops, but majorly slow upward growth. You can also tie it down, gently bending the plant in a northern direction so that the side of your plant will get bushy, in this method try to keep the stock from crimping anywhere, just a smooth bend. You could also cage train it, my personal favorite! Build a wire fence cage about 2.5-3' diameter and gently feed the branches out through the holes either level or slightly lower than where its growing from the main stalk, this will help make it a bush more than a tree, and you can also use multiple methods at the same time. Mine are all cage trained, topped, tied, super cropped and I defoliate a little bit usually daily (I have more than one big plant to work with), they will tolerate A LOT of abuse, be gentle, but dont feel like you'll kill it if you remove a few leaves, or break a branch or two. She looks great so far, and you are doing fantastic, I wish my first plant was anything like yours, but it definitely wasn't.
                  Thank you so much! Really useful advice. Do you have any further advice on how to tie it down? Or do you literally mean bend it in a 90 degree shape and tie it to something? Sorry I didn’t understand the ‘northern’ direction bit as she is already going north haha, I’m a complete newbie, so you’ll literally have to give this to me in dummy terms! TIA

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do a Rainbow tie down

Here is really good information on training your plants: https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-plant-training

Comment

Originally posted by Firstattempthelp View Post

Thank you so much! Really useful advice. Do you have any further advice on how to tie it down? Or do you literally mean bend it in a 90 degree shape and tie it to something? Sorry I didn’t understand the ‘northern’ direction bit as she is already going north haha, I’m a complete newbie, so you’ll literally have to give this to me in dummy terms! TIA
                    Hey! Can you check out how I tied her And let me know if it’s ok? It feels really odd to do this I don’t want to stress her out

Comment

• Smerft85
                      Smerft85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You could bend a whole lot more if you wanted to, she looks just fine. I'll get a pic of where I folded mine sharp later today for you.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X