Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st harvest dried in 2 days then into jars. Is it ruined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st harvest dried in 2 days then into jars. Is it ruined?

I used a rack for drying. I cut the buds from the stems at harvest. I unfortunately left fans on in my tent where I dried the bud. The bud was pretty airy. All together this meant that my buds were quite crispy on the outside by about 48 hours from harvest despite rh being about 60%. The stems still bent when I realized how fast they were drying and I put them straight into jars. I am waiting on my boveda packs, they only just shipped. I have burped once, about 14 hours after jarring. Still pretty crispy on the outside for most.
    I am new to this but imho the bud is not too dry, it just got to be as dry as it is too quickly. It smells heavily of hay or grass. What is people’s opinion of how much damage I have done and the best way to salvage my harvest?

Did you trim the leaves before putting into jars? If not do so then continue burping them twice a day for the next couple weeks then do it once a day for a few weeks. I wouldn’t use the humidity packs until the curing is done. It’ll take a few weeks before they start smelling like weed.

Comment

• Hrrmph
      Hrrmph commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I trimmed them wet. Ok I am so relieved you guys aren’t saying I ruined my crop! What you recommend is the plan except for the humidity packs. I am less sure about those. I am planning on making rosin and the ideal moisture level is supposed to be between 55-65% and so the boveda can help me achieve this specific goal. I am not saying I will use them, I am taking your advice to heart, I am just on the fence.

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the humidity packs as well. They just recommend not to use them until after curing. If your buds are super dry I don’t think it would hurt to use them earlier though.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I just toss a wet bud in the jar if too dry or i place peel off something to increase humidity or put less into jars until cured.

Do remember that mold can grow at or above 55% humidity. I dry in a humidity controlled room @ 45-50% RH and 72-76*F, usually 3 days and off to jars.

Comment

• Hrrmph
      Hrrmph commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info. All I have is a 2x4x8 tent, or the room I sleep in. I set my dehumidifier in the room with the tent to 55% and the sensor in the tent where I had my rack averaged 60%. I was afraid of putting a dehumidifier made for a room in my tent and I don’t want to buy one small enough to fit. The high humidity is why I chose to dry my buds on a rack with stems and leaves removed. I think it would have been fine(like I would know lol) if I hadn’t left my two clip fans running in the tent. Always appreciate your responses!
      Last edited by Hrrmph; 07-20-2020, 08:07 AM.

we all learn from trial and error, Hrrmph , don't beat yourself up. as you obviously now know fans in a drying room can be dangerous. follow the good advice already given, keep the daily burping going and I would try to keep the temp between 65 and 68 degrees to retain whatever terpenes, etc. that may be left. good luck!
    Last edited by duckman; 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Hrrmph
      Hrrmph commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks duckman. Yeah, learning from mistakes has been the name of the game so far. From what I gather I actually did alright for a first ever grow, despite my numerous mistakes, largely due to this site and the friendly people here. Next grow, already germinating, will be so much better! Thanks again for your time

anytime! we're all here to learn. the first harvest is a memorable one, for sure
    Last edited by duckman; 07-20-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X