Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinating seeds

Hello all,
    I've never had any problems with germinating my seeds, whether from my own breeding or those acquired from outside sources. That said, I am trying to germinate some seeds from my plants from this current year and am having a hard time. The seeds are seemingly perfect, dark and hard etc. Using the exact same technique I've used for many years (moist paper towel, dark cool cupboard etc) I have had them resting comfortably for almost 2 weeks now. By chance, do they need to "harden" for a year before trying to germinate? I've never tried to use the current year's seeds before. I'm actually trying to get a male (blasphemy, I know) to breed with, as these seeds are from my purple indica mom and dad. Quality problems for sure, but any help is appreciated!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Purple Dude.png Views:	0 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	428411Click image for larger version  Name:	Purple Gal 2.png Views:	0 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	428412Click image for larger version  Name:	Purple Gal 1.png Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	428413
    Last edited by Mazzariman; 07-15-2020, 10:34 PM. Reason: More info
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

WhenI say "cool" cupboard, I mean it is actually 70 - 73 degrees. Outside temps are around 80 - 90 degrees during the day and in the 70's at night. Central air keeps the inside of the house constant in the low 70's during the day. I've never used warming trays etc. Sure glad I didn't use all of her seeds! I'm actually in the process of rejuvenating the mom. Thought she was a goner but we have new growth.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rejuv.png
Views:	154
Size:	716.2 KB
ID:	428496

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      It's got to be warm and humid

• Mazzariman
      Mazzariman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SoOrbudgal. It's just so strange with this batch though. Exact same conditions for all my other successful germinations this year, and all past. I'll start some seeds from last year right next to them and see how they do. Baffling as the seeds looked perfectly formed and even better than any others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Germinating 1.png
Views:	148
Size:	1,010.3 KB
ID:	428636Click image for larger version

Name:	Germinating 2.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	428637 Here they are in the same dish I've always used.

Comment

Check out mandalaseeds.com. and look at their germination guide. I learned a bit about germinating very fresh seeds, which i have also encountered problems with lately. They recommend not soaking in water and not using wet paper towels. Very detailed explanation of what to do and not to do. Good luck.
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• Mazzariman
        Mazzariman commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked out the site you mentioned. I just dried them off, rolled em in some rooting powder and put em in a styrofoam egg type container and will hope for the best. We shall see said the blind man.

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for sharing that link for Mandala Seeds. Interesting read.
        I use papertowel but only damp and never soaking wet. Guess I have been fortunate with my germination success. Except for 1 bad batch of seeds I have had nearly 100% germination.
        I have been thinking about putting the seeds straight into their growing medium to lessen the chance of damaging the root. Just seems to make sense to me.
        thanks again.

• Mazzariman
        Mazzariman commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, I never soak, just keep the towel damp and have had success with that for decades, but I do like the idea of going directly into the soil for fresh seeds. These seeds are only a couple of months old. We'll see how it goes. I have more of them and the mom is rejuvenating nicely. Dad is still hanging in there as well.

Hey Korn. Here are pics of the germinating ReDo.

Comment

I don't know cause i do it the same way all my 30+yrs only if it rotted or was not a viable seed? I've not had issues with moist towel and baggies for a while. P.S. i really never drowned a seed in the water method just what i've read of others doing. It's frustrating i know.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Mazzariman
          Mazzariman commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, SoOrbudgal. The seeds are perfect, etc. The only difference being that they were only a couple months old. Like you, this wasn't my first flipping rodeo! Hopefully re-doing in the soil will help them to sprout. If not, so be it. Quality problems to have! But like the Monty Python movie scene in the Life of Brian, "Every Sperm (seed) is sacred". I hate losing any of my embryonic babies! On a side note, I always thought So. Oregon looked more like No. Humboldt and No. Oregon looked more like Washington. The middle was just undeclared and pretty blah. I suggested both Washington and California should annex Oregon and split it down the middle! That didn't go over so well with my brother and sister who are U of O grads! Just kidding, wink, wink! Please don't hate me for that, I'm known for being a wise guy. (I went to HSU and the parents didn't want them to go to a "Party" school so they wouldn't let them follow me. Now that's hysterical)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X