Outdoors. Is this a spider mite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Outdoors. Is this a spider mite?

I now see the photo isn't the greatest, but wonder if it's good enough for someone to comment for me. Is this a spider mite
    I earlier last week found some what looked like spider mite damage on one outdoor plant. I treated with insecticidal soap twice 3 and 4 days ago and have seen nothing further. See photo of one bug, I found some of these on several of my outdoor plants. they look like mini orange spiders and moved pretty quickly. I assumed they were spider mites so i sprayed with insecticidal soap again. now from looking on line i wonder if they are/were instead predatory mites, since i dont see the eggs or anything under the leaves. I am looking for more photos and if i dont have answers tomorrow i will take a real close up if i can find one. How can i prevent them outdoors? although i would be annoyed i killed something beneficial, from what i read, spider mites outdoors is almost a kiss of death so i am hoping i got good ones. I see that the 2 spot is called a red mite, so maybe that's what i got. I think i gotta get real good photos if i see them again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bootsy; 07-09-2020, 08:10 PM. Reason: found photos of red spider mites that could have been what i have.
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Counting legs, he looks like a good guy...an arachnid-type real spider. He's probably pretty clean by now. I wouldn't hit him with the soap again.
    A better picture would be cool. Also, compared to other photos of spider mite damage on the GWE site, your leaves don't have the white spots or webs. GWE says they are pretty tiny and that's why you don't know you have them until you see the evidence rather than the bugs themselves.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha he must be spotless šŸ˜‚

Looks like a spider-man to me also (the good ones)
    I keep my ā€œnormalā€ spiders on my outdoors plants. They will eat some of the bugs on your plants.
    if they make a web I just remove it,
    Just because people are over 50 doesnā€™t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the ā€œbestā€ lol

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a bargain to me šŸ˜… Thanks Amigo!

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just remember the mangos šŸ‘šŸ»
      De nada irmĆ£o šŸ˜Ž

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure!

This good folks are right. Thatā€™s super big to be a mite. Thatā€™s a real spider and most likely eat mites. You see those white tiny spot on your leaves? Thatā€™s the size of the mites and they only hang out underneath. You can only see a reddish spot with the naked eye

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Btw you have to really zoom in to be able to see the spots in talking about. To give a sense of scale against the spider

thanks folks. i am in agreement and feel a littlle bad. - so. now how do i bring the god ones back to life? but i am also encouraged. found em on each plant so hopefully they come back
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I found live predator mites on Amazon. Idk if I'm gonna git those or praying mantis'

The world is full of spiders, and new ones will find your plants. I'd be careful with the insecticides, as lots of beneficial bugs - in addition to spiders - hang out in the outdoor garden, and they do a waaaay better job of keeping your plants pest-free. Ladybugs and lacewing! Mantis and spiders! All good! Also, spray in the late evening, after the bees and other foragers have gone to bed. Insect soap isn't picky about what it kills.
    Good luck!

Comment

thanks folks. a good rain and some bugs are back. hope the good ones take over. i found a baby ladybug and a couple of the little red spiders already. I feel bad about the panic and killing the good ones but spider mites are made to sound scary in what people write. i will be more thorough in checking from now on. outdoor grow is certainly interesting

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X