Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating your plants!?

Hey,

i have been wondering about this for a while, and it might sound a bit strange. But everything that looks healthy on my plant, and i have cut off as a part of defoliation, i usually wash thoroughly and eat. I have been growing for only short two months, so i have been wondering if this is okay, or if it could be harmful, and what are your thoughts on this.

To elaborate on why i'm doing this a bit, first off, it feels like waste throwing all the cut leaves and stems into the thrash. I have been raised to eat all the food i can, and keep for later what i can't eat now - never throw away anything that could be eaten later.

As i look at it, i absolutely love leafy greens - spinach.. rucola.. salad.. etc., but they are super expensive here (over 20 bucks for KG - approx. base daily wage). I have spent roughly 200 bucks on fertilizers for the plant, and over 600 for the things necessary for growing it (lights, tent, ballast, etc. ).

So. Why throw out all the cuttings away?
    I throw away unhealthy leaves or stems, and keep the healthy ones. Cut them finely, fry them a bit on oil with some onion, add some legumes and water, boom - you have a great soup. Or eat them fresh in salad! Put them between your bread with ham an cheese to make slightly healthier sandwich. Over the net i have found out that eating fresh minced/mixed canna is used as "super food".

I don't use all organic fertilizers/supplements (mostly regular canna brand products, which they claim can be used for edible plants), but i also don't eat kilograms of the plant all the time (have only one plant at this time).

Think this might be unhealthy? Or just weird? Did you ever try it?
    Last edited by Partyzen; 06-24-2020, 01:43 PM.

Lots of people do what you are doing - can't have too many greens can we?

When you get your sparkly sugar leaves then it gets even better.

Did you know if you were stuck on a deserted island and had a ton of cannabis seeds - eating those seeds would sustain you - they are packed with protein and lots of other good stuff my brain can't remember right now.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      True story!
      I've put leaves in green salads, collard greens, tomato soup, chicken noodle soup.... I've had homemade bread with cracked seeds & whole wheat. Good stuff!!!!
      Another way to avoid waste is to compost them back into the dirt.

• Partyzen
      Partyzen commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't know that about seeds! What a great plant, can be eaten, smoked, used as ointments, remade to fabric... yet its still considered a terrible and disgusting drug on most of the world...

JDU Someone should deffinitely make a canna recipe thread. Whole wheat bread with seeds sounds delicious!

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      We had a little chat about ways to eat leaves on here about a yr ago 👍 Watch your TV guide for the show "Bong Appetite" for some great ideas too.

Eating raw leaves is like eating sandpaper. They are not smoothe. Cook those things like collards.
    WWED?

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

I use decarbed rosin pucks in place of chewing tobacco. Win - Win

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X