Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Brown spots on leaves, overgrowth

Hello,

i'm on my first grow, first plant, bagseed, currently 55th day of veg, and was about to switch to flower but noticed brown spots on leaves. Few weeks ago it was just one leaf, now its multiple.

Its usually leaves around middle of the plant, most exposed to light, not new, almost fully developed. New leaves look fine, so does anything that is lower on plant or in shade.

I thought this might be CalMag issue, so i flushed thoroughly and started using some about week and half ago, but no improvement.
    Also read somewhere the light might be too strong, so i put lamp higher, but also no help.

Some info to maybe help diagnose:
    Growing in 2x2x5 tent, coco+perlite 8L, 18/6 under TS1000 LED, using 4 static computer fans for airflow.
    Supplementing with Canna A+B (2+2 ml - recommended was 4), Cannazym 2ml (rec was 3.8), BioBizz CalMag 1ml, lately added BioCanna Boost 1ml, all diluted in 1.5 L of water - using 1L to water twice a day.
    Please don't lynch me, but i never measured PPM/EC of anything, but ordered a meter.
    PH seems to be around 6, not exactly 100% sure, as the strips were year past expiration, tomorrow getting new ones, just to be sure.
    Temps have been under 23-27 C lately, but humidity i can't for the hell of me get under 50% with anything i do, most was 65%.

I am also facing constant overgrowth i topped young and did some training to spread the stem out, now have 6 main stems and plenty of smaller ones, and i have absolutely no idea what to cut and what to leave, as i couldn't find this explained in depth enough anywhere (cut only leaves? or also small stems? which ones?). I defoliated some stems and leaves that didn't get light, but don't know if to keep all that can or not.

Including some photos. Some colors may be skewed due to light and camera.

Thank you for any and all help. Please feel free to be as extensive as you feel like, i will be happy for any help you can share.

Could be a lil bug damage, maybe a leafhopper. Not too extensive. I would remove all leaves with the brown spots/damage. I would remove all the small inner branches that are going to be light limited and only going to produce small wimpy buds. See GWE tutorials on pruning and lollipoping plants to get an idea.
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• Partyzen
      Partyzen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks for the response! I tried looking through the plant, didn't find any bugs, i'm pretty sure leafhopper couldn't get there as the tent is very far from any possible contamination from outside, but i will try to remove the damaged leaves to look for any new possible damage.
      I've read all that i found on the GWE site, but i still feel uneasy just cutting off, i probably need some more precise intructions on what to cut and what to leave... but i guess that is just because of the inexperience and fear of screwing up Thanks!

Looks like cal mag issue to me but I only see it on a couple leaves which is strange. Did you buffer the coco or buy it pre buffered?

Question: Why did you flush with a possible deficiency? That could have made the issue worse. I would double up on cal mag on your feedings and waterings.

For the overgrowth, lolipoping and defoliation will help. There are tutorials on the site. The idea is to remove all growth below a certain point to maximize yield. This works as you are removing everything below the threshold of light that will produce good buds which in turn focuses all the nutes and growth on the buds you want to grow. It takes practice so dont fret if it doesnt work the way you want the first few times

Comment

• Partyzen
      Partyzen commented
      Editing a comment
      As this was my first time and i had to make haste as the seedling was in very bad soil and doing very poorly, i didn't even read about pre-buffering. Used "Ugro small rhiza" brick of coco, flushed it few times and planted. There is "buffered" written on the bag, but only in one word, nothing else hints on any buffering, and as at time i didn't know it was necessary, i guess it was just bland coco.

I flushed because i've found some information about constriction of plant feeding, if too much of fertilizer is used, and as i was kind of experimenting with multiple supplements from the sttart, i was worried that i maybe overfed. Probably wasn't a best idea in retrospect. I will double on CalMag and see how it will go, but yes, because its only a leave here and there, i am also wondering what it could be. Hence why i posted here for help.

I will continue to experiment with the lolipoping and defoliation then, i'm just scared to poke the plant, as it is doing good now aside from the brown spots.

Thanks for the help!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X