Has Hindu Kush Skunk Bud Vanished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Hindu Kush Skunk Bud Vanished?

Greetings all. I was wondering why I see the term OG Kush and all those related strains/names, yet NONE are like the Afghani and Purple Kush that was grown back in the early 80's in Humboldt/Mendocino. I've been trying to selectively breed out the sativa from my plants to try and bring back those strains/traits/characteristics, while also preserving my strains as well. The seeds were given to me many years ago by pals in So. Hum. and were from the original Girl Scout Cookies, Headband, Oooey Gooey Train Wreck, Diesel and some random others. Now most all my starts have very wide leaves, some show purple, and all finish with great results, and most do have a hash like flavor. Just not with that strong skunk smell yet. I still keep the Sativa dominant strains going as well for variety and flavors. As yet, all mine are unnamed since I have no idea what they really are now. Just good ol weed I guess. It used to really confuse me to hear of varieties being called Kush that have high THC levels, when Indica/Kush back in the day, and by it's very nature, had very low THC. I've given up trying to make sens(emellia) out of that though. Is there a strain/name out there that is "pure" Indica so to speak? Any recommendations for outdoor (no indoor or feminized though) are greatly appreciated. Anyone else depressed that they didn't save some of those seeds from the 70's? like Colombian Gold, Thai, Hawaiian, Panama Red, Black African etc.? Thanks, and no offense to anyone or any technique intended! Just a "Poi Dog Pondering"!
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

Landraces my friend.
    Have some fun. 😌

8 x 8 x 5 Camping Tent
    300W full-spectrum light

Locally Sold Soil (0.04- 0.01 - 0.01)

Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
    FlowerFuel (0-34-32)​

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t think he understood your comment.

Landraces. Ok, I guess that covers some part of it, just not sure which part. My plants are definitely "climatized " to my area. Thanks!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Land race is not a cultivar, landraces are “climatized” by nature and natural selection so they evolve to survive in certain regions. Cultivar = cultivated variety meaning people bred and selected to improve certain traits aka genetically modified

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      Cannabis consumers today face more variety of choices than ever before. While there's a cultivar for every occasion, all strains of cannabis available today can be genetically traced back to a handful of varieties, known as landrace strains. Landrace strains are cannabis cultivars that have...

9fingerleafs If an isolated tribe of people collected a wild landrace of cannabis, used it, and replanted it without introducing any new genetics from any outside cannabis sources would that not be considered a cultivar of cannabis that is also a landrace. I believe it would.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I guess there are blurry lines both in language and practicality on the matter. In my opinion once is cultivated is not landrace anymore and landraces took thousands of years to evolve through out the world but in practical senses true landraces are so rare (places where cannabis grows wild) that we call the very special cultivars specific to certain region landraces. I think it’s all about the “definition” and the true practical sense of the word. That being the case yes you are correct in practical terms, Thai Mexican Jamaican African Afghani all landraces cultivated for a very short time to produce the best weed the genetics can provide

In this context, Indica wasn't natural to the U.S. in the late 70's it was climatized to Northern California, then bred with other varieties (Sativa) resulting in hybrids. All I was looking for is where are the original (High CBD/CBN - Low THC) strains like Afghani, Purple Kush & Mazzar-i-Shareef? I'm just tryin g to bring back something close to the originals by selectively breeding for traits that are as close as possible to the originals. Is anybody aware of strains that are like the skunk weed from the early 80's. The seeds I use have been climatized to my area after many years of my breeding for desired traits. A one word answer (landraces) to my query is just a bit lacking. The idea of high THC varieties having the word Kush in their name just doesn't seem accurate. The book "Marijuana Botany" is what I have been going by since the early 80's. Maybe I need some enlightening in "modern" growing/botany concepts.Thanks for any help in this regard!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Og is a hybrid made from lemon Thai, chemdawg and Hindu Kush. It has always produced high thc due to the Thai and chemdawg. I think you could do a bit more research and find out what you are looking for online following the lineage of modern hybrids

For GWE forum members who are interested in a good YouTube video concerning the collection of landrace cannabis seeds from remote tribal areas check out the VICE News Channel and watch

Hunting For A Rare Congolese Weed Strain with “The Kings of Cannabis”
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Seen it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X