Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with a green thumb, am I doing this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Newbie with a green thumb, am I doing this right?

Hey All,

Although I am not new to gardening and houseplants, I am new to growing cannabis; specifically on my west facing porch. I guess my questions, as a newbie, are: does my plant look healthy? should I prune it? I Cannot remember how long ago it was germinated, I think 2 or 3 months? I have never used fertilizer or a special soil. I never thought it would even grow past a seedling. Thanks so much for any tips.

I won't give you a whole grow guide but here are some things to look out for and to do (if you want to):

-Read the grow tutorials on here. There are plenty
    -Watch your leaves. They will tell you everything you need to know about the plant's health
    - Don't water too much, but make sure it isn't thirsty. I usually water every 2 days, but it varies with how much drainage your medium has
    - Plan ahead! This means knowing what to expect as the plant grows (Plant's final height, the smell, etc)
    - Patience. Cannabis is a fast growing plant, but it does take time. Even after harvesting, it can take a couple months to cure the bud, if you chppse to do so.
    - Have fun

Ask questions, take notes, and check your pH regularly. 😌

2 x 2 x 4 Tent
    300W full-spectrum light

MiracleGro soil (0.06 - 0.02 - 0.02)
    Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
    FlowerFuel (0-34-32)

Comment

• greengoddess91
      greengoddess91 commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely appreciate all of these tips. I really am sure of the type of strain all it got was "q" - which after some research could be a whole lot of varieties. I do believe it is an indica due to the shape of the leaves. Again, I really am thankful for the info.

Also, your plant looks great so far. Perfect color, no deficiencies that I can see, and she seems to be on the way.
    Ask questions, take notes, and check your pH regularly. 😌

2 x 2 x 4 Tent
    300W full-spectrum light

MiracleGro soil (0.06 - 0.02 - 0.02)
    Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
    FlowerFuel (0-34-32)

Comment

So my take after doing this for years, not bad for a beginner. However, there are some things that i would change.

First, they look hungry and you need to feed. They look a tad deficient but not too bad.

Second, that pot is kinda small. I would repot to at least a 5 gal or higher pot.

Third, im guessing they are photo's since they are 2-3 moths with no flowers. When do you plan to induce flowering?

And lastly, for a 2-3 month old plant they look stunted. If i let my plants veg for thee months i would have small trees on my hand. Cannabis grows quickly under the right circumstances so if your plant is small afet a couple months then there is something you are doing (or not doing) that it doesnt like. My guess is the lack of nutes and small pot

Like gjourny said, there are a lot of tutorials on the site. I would read them to find out how a cannabis plant grows, as they are a tad different than other normal houseplants and veggies.

Comment

• greengoddess91
        greengoddess91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much for your input - I will definitely repot as soon as I have more soil and perlite

Fertilize and repot
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

greengoddess91 you're getting some good advice here...as far as pruning, IMHO it's a bit late for topping or FIMing (usually that's done when the plant has 4-5 nodes) and I don't see any need to defoliate (not at this time, always). good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

• greengoddess91
          greengoddess91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate the feedback and the information about the perlite - I plan on repotting tomorrow. Also I impulsively topped it last night after too much wine , is that bad?

• duckman
          duckman commented
          Editing a comment
          I reckon that depends, as long as you're doing it in moderation you should be fine.

• greengoddess91
          greengoddess91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate it, I only did it once and cut down about 5" - this forum has the best information

Wow, thank you all for so much awesome information!! I will definitely keep y'all updated on this journey. I will definitely get a bigger pot and some nutrients - again you guys are awesome and I appreciate all the information. My other problem is I have zero clue about the actual strain - I assume it's indica based on the leaf size and shape. Ahh i'm so excited.

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          To reiterate what Gjourney101 and Tersky wrote: Read the Grow Weed Easy's tutorials and topics! The only original thought I have is the type of pot you want...but wait - THAT'S ON THE GWE SITE TOO!!!! Welcome and we await news of your progress

Another note about the soil to repot it in, suggestions? I read that Fox Farms was a good way to go and I have used it on other houseplants; my question is "If the soil already has organic compound, is an extra fertilizer necessary?

Comment

• Korn
          Korn commented
          Editing a comment
          The NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) content should be labeled on the bag somewhere if it contains nutrients. It is possible to have organic compounds that are low in NPK, so its possible that additional nutrients will be necessary. Try to find out more about the Fox Farm mix. I have not used it.
          Last edited by Korn; 06-21-2020, 09:20 PM.

• duckman
          duckman commented
          Editing a comment
          in general, greengoddess91, if you plant in soil ("regular", no added nutes) you shouldn't have to add nutes for a month or so. Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Happy Frog are both good soils.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X