No announcement yet.

First Blueberry growing in Coco Coir with GH Flora Series + Cheap Leds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR First Blueberry growing in Coco Coir with GH Flora Series + Cheap Leds

Hello Community!
    I am here to share with you my experience in this project, ask you some questions or get some tips to improve this experience.

So these are the "specs" of this project:
    Blueberry feminized from 00 seeds
    Growing in Coco coir from Canna (Pot size 15L)
    Feeding i use GH Flora Series and GH Cal+Mag (although it should not be needed, but my plant showed some deficiency mid veg)
    For lights a 52w LED TGL STAR CREE 3500K, and a "150w" ufo from ebay (25€+shipping ahah) as an auxiliar light
    Currently running 12/12h for the 10th day
    She veged for about 40 days, where i topped once and LST a lot, and in the final week i placed a net above the plant and i planning to double scrog probably the next week or two. She barelly fits in a 2x3ft.

Here comes the curiousity,
    I am only able to feed her once per day, and its like 6h after lights on (cause of my job, and dont want to stress the plant changing the time lines in flowering). Usually bettwen 1.7 and 1.9 EC, run to waste.
    I know i should be washing more the medium, so i usually water till i get 60% runnof (like a small flush daily).
    I read it should only take 10% of the pot to get 20% runnof, for me it would be like 1.5L, wich i do, but to get the 60% runnof.. Is my plant not drinking well?

About the readings, i cant get the 30% Lower EC reading on my runnof, it may be consequence from my watering habits, salts acummulating in the medium, or overfeeding... usually i read 1.4-1.5 EC in my runnof.

I topped and LST the plant wich gave me a nice bush, first day of flowering i did some defoliation, but i am afraid of having too many branches. In other cultures like vinyard they set a number of branches for the plant and cut the excessive branches (avoiding them to steal strenght from the plant, and focusing all the strenght to the intended branches) does it applies to cannabis aswell?

Another thing i would like advice is relactive humidity, the room itself has a reading of 55-65% RH, but i have a reader near the plant wich reads 70% RH and its peak is like 80%, i tryed some things to lower this readings like opening windows and doors, placed a bag of charcoal in the room, even some silicate in smal containers, but no sucess so far.. is there any way to reduce relactive humidity without spending money in one AC or Dehumidifier??

Last week i spotted some Gnats around the plant, i think i reacted early, cause i caught around 10 in two days, and its been like 5 days since and i dont see any in the yellow traps. I used nothing but the traps, and some hours spent trying to catch them all. I have some diatomaceous earth stored, i am avoiding to use it until it becomes a problem (i know its natural and dont hurt the plant, but it has some reactions in the medium wich i dont want, beeng a noobie and such).

So i will leave you with some photos, will upload more later. feel free to coment, advice or ask any questions.. i am here to learn, and i believe you are aswell!
    Sorry for the english btw!

She looks super healthy and happy so keep doing what you’re doing! If you have a way to vent the air outside a exhaust fan will help with the humidity. Depending on the climate where you live you may need to use a ac or dehumidifier as well. I’m located in the South East US so I have to use all three to get the humidity down

Comment

Yes, but I was trying to avoid buying an ac or a dehumidifier and summer is coming here, so i think im going to wait and see... but thanks for the reply mate bboyfromwayback
      '

BTW,
      do you think i should cut my extra branches? I'm afraid to stress the plant, given that she is in flowering stage already, but i think those branches dont add much to the yield. what do you think? THX again!

Comment

Once the plant gets so big I cut all the small lower growth off as soon as it appears. If it’s down low it will never get big enough to produce much so I remove it and let that energy go elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks again mate! Just did has you said, i ripped off all the little branches in the lower zone..
          I am really excited with this plant, soiless really is a good option for Newbie growers..
          Will keep updating this topic with news and photos along the way!!!

Cheers!

Comment

Good job. I'm impressed! I am going through drama with a Blueberry mom in coco because I can't seem to find the strength of nutrient solution she likes. I think I've at least stopped the damage but am still waiting for full recovery. I've switched to flowering nutrients to see if it helps with what appears to be either extreme nute burn or possibly a potassium deficiency.
            Coconut Grove
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Hey there mate, I dont know if it will be much of a help but i gather some notes i had from this plant.

So she grew in coco, I allways phed TAP water (considered Hard TAP water i believe, about 0.75EC) to a ph between 5.5 and 6.0 (honestly i did 5.7 or 5.8 on the reader but i dont trust it that much precision althought i calibrate it every week or so).

Until the 2nd week i only gave it water most of the times (added some root Juice and sea weed a couple of times), after that i started feeding with the General hydroponics Flora séries.

Ratio of 1-1-1 for micro grow and Bloom (bottle instructions) Until i get 1.2EC early veg, and went incresing a bit of the strenght trought the stage. Last 10 days of veg it was like 1.5EC, but i had add the calmag because the plant showed some defeciency.. Added 1ml per liter of solution of calmag.
              She vegged for about 4 weeks..

Since flowering ive been feeding 1.8EC with the flowering instructions, it says to increase a bit the grow and lower the Bloom for the first two weeks. 1 micro 1.5 grow 0.5 bloom.

And further 1 micro-0.5grow-1.5 bloom, I am in the middle of the turn so ive been gradually increasing one and lowering the other..

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that. I've been so frustrated because three other seeds from three other varieties grew out good and strong with the exact same treatment BB got. I'm considering moving the mom-to-be out of coco and into the RDWC hydro system I built for her future children where I can control the nutes better. If all else fails, I've still got two more Blueberry seeds in my personal bank.

Hi everyone!
              So we are on the 18th/19th day flowering everythings doing ok, besides RH wich i cant lower from 65%+... but i made peace with the idea of buying an AC.. Gona get it on the first july, with the salary arrival
              About the feedings, i added some Monster Bloom from Grotek to the mix.. roughly 1/5 of a tea spoon for 2 liters solution. EC from 1.65 to 1.80, using tap water phed at 5.7/5.8.
              The runoff EC is very aprox. to the inflow (coming around 1.7 EC most of the times)

I am really enjoying how things are going in the tent. My only fear is not having enough lights to properlly develop the buds.
              Will let you with some photos, this time i remmember to turn off the colorfull leds

Tell me what you think.
              Attached Files

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                Editing a comment
                They look great! It might be about time to thin out the foliage before they get too deep into flowering.

• Alik92
                Alik92 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ive been defoliating, it just comes back! D:
                It may not look like it, but i've took like 50 leaves 2 days ago.. and anothers like 3 days before... so on so on..
                I got to the situation where i am afraid of stressing her too much, Most bud sites are exposed to direct light, but i understand that leaves will probably grow and cover them..
                How long can i keep defoliating her in flower stage?

I keep defoliating till about 3wks into flower.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Ok guys, will follow your advice and do an hard defoliation today, probably the last one 'cause this sunday i hit the 3rd week mark..
                Will post another photo after the defoliation

Comment

So here is the result..
                  Took dozens of leaves xD
                  Attached Files

Comment

So, todays post will be asking for a second opinion.
                    Yesterday i found a leaf that was showing some brown edges/spots. pic.1
                    ​​​​​​After better looking i thought it was some PK toxicity (cause i added some this week). the top leaves are kind of thin aswell. pic.2 and 3
                    And the plnt hasnt developed much this last couple of days.

I already cut of the PK, and wached the coco with a solucion of 1.3 EC.
                    Here are some photos. Can i get a second opinion on this?

Ps. all the leaves have come back again xD

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-29 at 19.26.46.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	422602Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-29 at 19.26.47 (1).jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	422603Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-29 at 19.26.47 (2).jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	422604Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-29 at 19.26.47.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	698.8 KB
ID:	422605

Comment

So i finally got my dehumidifier!
                      I was having RH peaks of 75%, now its at 50-55% constantly..
                      The temperature rised to 27ºC and doesnt lower much during night time (lowest value registered is 24,6ºC)

I am feeling a little behind compared to others topics. feels like a week or so late. I am in the middle of the 4th week after light switch, and the budlets havent fatten that much... Although i have dozens of them spread all over the plant...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                        Editing a comment
                        I think they'll get there. They look a bit like my flowering tent did about a week ago. (I'm in the middle of week 5.) Hooray for dehumidifiers! Mine is an electricity hog but it does the job. Buds the size of baseball bats don't mean a thing if they're moldy or don't smoke well. Hang in there!

Hello guys!
                      So my plant is 1 month old now..
                      I have been struggling with Runoff Ec this week, it was like 2.10 while i was feeding 1.50.. got it to 1.70 today by lowering the intake EC to 1.25/1.30. but I saw some more damaged leaves today and i realized that it happens mostly to the leaves near an CO2 bag i have hanging in the tent.. has this happen to any of you?

Anyway i took the plant out to a small session ahah
                      It looks big and pretty to my eyes!!
                      30 days since the light switch

Cheers!

edit: when should i stop feeding nutes? and can i use tap water or should i use destiled water?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                        SoOrbudgal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        High there your plant is looking good, nice defoilage. I don't use Co2 no comment on that other than i breath in and out near the tent LOL sheeesh. You don't quit feeding until about 2-3wks from harvest.

I haven't messed with CO2 before. The plant does look nice though despite a few bum fan leaves. I'd say keep feeding until the start of week 8 or when most pistils have turned then flush it and only give water after that if needed. Have you taken a sample of your tap water and done EC & pH tests? I use tap water at an EC of about .4 and a pH near 10. The nutes I use tend to pull the overall pH low enough I don't have to adjust it much. The hardness comes from limestone mainly so there's generally plenty of calcium already in it along with trace minerals.
                      Coconut Grove
                      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• Alik92
                        Alik92 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey there, yes i test the tap water every time before adding things ahah
                        It has an Ec of about 0.7, and ph of 6.5 most of the times..
                        Adding the nutes doesnt change much the ph for me, i add such a low quantity.. like 5ml (total of the 4 bottles) for 2,5l water. i allways have to use ph down
                        About the calcium, i started adding calmag cause i saw some deficiencies early veg. at 1ml per liter but i have been lowering the dose latelly, no deficiency yet.. i may have messed smth early which lockout the calcium a few feedings (there is an order in adding them that i only found out later, micro nutes allways go first) so i have been lowering the calmag dose to increase the others..
                        I still have a lot to learn and test

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X