In the news: Study finds that how we judge weed's potency is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the news: Study finds that how we judge weed's potency is wrong

A recent study by the University of Colorado at Boulder suggests everything we know about the strength of marijuana is wrong! THC levels don't translate to a better high. I personally agree with this study as I don't see any difference when I consume very high THC percentage bud versus very low. The study makes a point of comparing the effects of consuming very strong alcohol versus a lower percentage alcohol and how that would cause you to feel more intoxicated whereas a higher THC percentage won't necessarily cause you to feel more impaired. One cool thing about the legalization of marijuana is that now people are actually able to study the damn plant and find out all kinds of new facts about it! I personally am very excited!
    https://newatlas.com/health-wellbein...n-blood-study/
    Last edited by ellz; 06-16-2020, 08:57 PM.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Eh.... I halfway agree.... in that THC isn't the only thing that contributes to the high.... The best stuff has the best balance but when everything else lines up THC definitely matters.

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you. I think it's a combination.

High THC is not equally with a good high. Agree,
    JDU I agree with you also. All cannabinols in the weed counts.
    but I do believe the higher THC, the longer high you have. It last longer the high, and you don’t need to smoke again so soon.
    my experience
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

One thing I have to question about the article: using "impairment" as a measure of how high someone is. Alcohol impairs, Cannabis may do lots of things, but it doesn't impair...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a little bit of what is called peripheral nervous system. Kinda like reflexes and other reactions like pupil dilatation, vertigo, gag reflex. Wouldn’t call it impaired, i would go with affected

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        Have witnessed many times people unable to walk easily from strong smoke so not sure about the doesn't impair lol

I can agree with some of that, however when I smoke bunk I dont get high, I get smoke inhalation issues. I can certainly tell the difference between strains with high and low potency such as the high from the BB3 vs the high from the Mazar, both good in their own way.
      THC is not all they should also have looked at THCP which is some 30 times stronger than THC will play into just how high one gets. So for me the study is flawed as they did not include all the cannabinoids available.Start over, include everything!
      (Bunk, shit weed with low grade THC below 15%)

Comment

OK i got a story recently published in the Oregonian newspaper. Search and rescue sent out looking for hiker who got lost after smoking weed. Two guys go on a day hike in the a.m. near Bend Oregon, smoke a joint shortly into the hike and they get separated? So the other moron calls police who send in search and rescue gang find him " by calling his name and blowing whistles ". So i think there are those with the brain wired different than logical thinkers that should never ever smoke weed. Some brains just don't operate the same when high or not.

Now it's gonna be thought of as a bad thing with those who never smoked weed saying " I told you it was the devil weed "
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          My comment wasn't really right; I know that some folks can go psychotic, delusional, when they smoke. So it definitely impairs some folks.

I wonder how you can volunteer to be in the high concentration group for a long term study.

Comment

• crunchyfrog
          crunchyfrog commented
          Editing a comment
          Well with the virus and everything, I am going to insist I do my part of the study at home.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          crunchyfrog Most excellent idea. Experiments must proceed by equipping volunteers with lots of high THC pot and a recorder; they will note into the recorder, in the safety and solitude of their own homes, every impairment they experience.

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          When I lived in Denver, they had commercials looking for study participants. But that was back in 2017.

LOL crunchyfrog

indoor/outdoor grower
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

crunchyfrog You may want to check out this website: https://www.centerwatch.com/clinical...use-marijuana/
          Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
          Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

I'd like to know why some varieties yield a more psychedelic experience than others (like Purple Haze) and why some are just such great mood boosters (Acapulco Gold) and why some are good to smoke before you knock boots with your S.O. (suggestions?).
            Coconut Grove
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Other cannabinoids and even terpenes play a role in the high. It’s called entourage effect. When the effect of several substances combined can be more than the sum of the individual effects. Just like pure thc pens feel weird and flat but a little CBd and other ccanabinoids make the effect we get from the entire flower

• UndergroundFarmer
              UndergroundFarmer commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm familiar with the entourage effect and also the lack of it. I bought some stuff called Robert Plant on my first visit to a Colorado dispensary that claimed to be high in THC but had nothing else going for it. I'd like to see studies to find out exactly how cannabinoids all work together so that a lab analysis of a particular variety can predict the effect that it will have on the human body and mind. Right now all we have is anecdotal evidence. I'd love it if a desired effect could be maximized by selective breeding guided by a mathematical model of what a theoretical cannabis plant's ideal chemical profile might be for producing that effect. Genetically speaking, it would still be breeders figuratively throwing darts at a board but now they would be throwing them with the lights on.

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn’t agree more, I guess just like with everything biological the key it’s understanding the source code.

I know i don't have the same tolerance for straight strong pure indica strains they got today. I like the hybrids with the CBD

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

I ran across this blog article concerning more psychedelic effects being attributed to cannabis grown near the equator or at higher elevations.
              I remember vaguely some of those experiences.
              https://www.bigislandgenetics.org/si...y-surprise-you,

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                Editing a comment
                I tried using a set of blacklight LEDs made for posters. They didn't help. I later found out that those only emit UVA not the UVB that plants can use. Having UVB in the spectrum was one of the selling points for my new LED panel and it seemed to make a difference.

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                The best source of uvb light is the sun in my opinion

• UndergroundFarmer
                Editing a comment
                I would definitely put them outside in the sun if I could! Trouble is, the state is expecting them to be in a locked room in the basement and neighbors are too numerous and the yard is a bit small for that.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X