New and need a game plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and need a game plan

Hey everyone! New to growing and the forum so thanks for having me and any advice that you can provide.

Starting small as I get the hang of this, but would like some help for the next few weeks of my grow.

Currently germinating 6 bag seeds in solo cups in my 2x2 (4’ tall) grow tent. Germinating in jiffy pods set in nutrient free planting soil. Hoping to be able to do 3 plants in my 3 gallon smart pots with coco coir/pearlite medium under a 150W LED lamp.

After reading about the manifolding technique, I’m hoping to do this in order to increase my yield while keeping my babies nice and short.

My question is should I let them grow in the solo cups until I can determine the plant’s sex and then transplant and then start the manifolding technique or would this be too late? As I said before I’m working with bag seeds right now (will eventually go the seed bank route but for now getting my feet wet) so I don’t know what I’m dealing with yet but I’m afraid to transplant a male into the pots as that just seems like a waste plus the possibility of dead roots screwing something up.

Anyways if anyone has been in this situation before I’d love to get some advice on how to continue on or possibly get a “game plan” for the next few grows. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by dalvis; 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM.

First of al welcome, for sex to show can take at least 6 to 8 weeks from germination. That’s too long for a solo cup and the plant will get too big for a solo cup. The risk of wasting time and money on a male is always there with regular seeds. It’s good to have double the seeds you need, females show sex earlier so with some luck you can get 3 females to show she’s early and discard the rest of the plants. Here’s my solution to your problem. Get six pots, can be one or two quarts, even one gallon. And use that pot until they show sex, then you transplant into the fabric pots. Going from solo cup to big pot is not ideal

Comment

High and welcome to the forum yes like the previous post do transplant into 1 gal. Post a pic. of your set up with the light in it, light take up inches from the ceiling so that's another story. What brand of light and what's the watts from the wall true watts if it says?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback! Here are some photos of my set up as well at the specifications on my grow lamp (I believe GrowStar is the brand name). Currently using a CFL for the germinating process (100% of what I know comes from the “grow weed easy” website) that I will remove once it looks like they can take the LED. Can definitely move to 1 gallon pots once they look healthy enough to move them. I guess I should start manifolding then until I can determine the sex of the plant? Also, I’m assuming the move to the 1 gallon pots should include me using the coco coir medium. Is it okay to expand the block of coco coir and save the remainder for the move to 3 gallon pots?

The extra room in my tent is reserved for my carbon filter.

Comment

Welcome qnd good luck with your grow! A successful grow starts with being eager and you seem to be I see you have 6 plants, with your training techniques you may run out of space which can lead to humidity issues. Be aware of that, otherwise you seem to be on the right track
          Ask questions, take notes, and check your pH regularly. 😌

2 x 2 x 4 Tent
          300W full-spectrum light

MiracleGro soil (0.06 - 0.02 - 0.02)
          Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
          FlowerFuel (0-34-32)

Comment

Originally posted by Gjourney101 View Post
            Welcome qnd good luck with your grow! A successful grow starts with being eager and you seem to be I see you have 6 plants, with your training techniques you may run out of space which can lead to humidity issues. Be aware of that, otherwise you seem to be on the right track
            Yeah I know that’s too many. I’m using bag seeds so I’m hoping (assuming 50% male/female) that 3 of these will be ladies. I’m afraid that 3 might be ambitious for my grow space but here’s looking for the best advice that I can get. Thanks for the reply!

edit: I sprung for a dehumidifier for the grow space room. Hoping that helps with humidity. Currently not on during the germ phase as I want humidity right now.
            Last edited by dalvis; 06-16-2020, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Hey bro welcome im also a new grower 1 x outdoor last year i did ok. I lost alot due to new zealand goverment eagle chopper but i got just over 2 pound off mainly 2plants giants tho ahaha. With some help off that grow i purchased 1.2m by 1.2m by 2m with 4season 800w led and inline fan with carbon filter ive also puchased 2 obsilculating small fans. So now my 2nd grow 1st indoors so thats learn togeather this forum is 2nd to none mate good people and real talk without big headed people enjoy and aknowledge there awesome expreinced help when it comes to growers this forum proberly has some of the best. We got the same idea follow each others journey on the green st.
              IO'D

Comment

Originally posted by Corogold View Post
                Hey bro welcome im also a new grower 1 x outdoor last year i did ok. I lost alot due to new zealand goverment eagle chopper but i got just over 2 pound off mainly 2plants giants tho ahaha. With some help off that grow i purchased 1.2m by 1.2m by 2m with 4season 800w led and inline fan with carbon filter ive also puchased 2 obsilculating small fans. So now my 2nd grow 1st indoors so thats learn togeather this forum is 2nd to none mate good people and real talk without big headed people enjoy and aknowledge there awesome expreinced help when it comes to growers this forum proberly has some of the best. We got the same idea follow each others journey on the green st.
                Hey there! Yeah it’s been fun learning about all this through reading the website and this forum. I could not imagine trying to do this on my own. Looking forward to putting these theories to practice and completing my first grow. Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to this forum and help new growers like myself! Cheers!

Comment

You will bro. Ya sound keen like me all the best bruf keep in touch and keep updating forum with ya grow we all love it
                  IO'D

Comment

To be SURE

Comment

Welcome to our not very exclusive club. This is a great hobby but to do it correctly is time consuming. I do have to recommendations
                      Don't use bag seeds. It takes time and effort so why waste your time with iffy seeds. Buy some fermionized seeds and be done with it. If/when you upgrade your grow light, get a really good one. Do not waste money on a cheap light.
                      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                      5 gallon cloth pots
                      30"x30"x60" tent
                      Spider Farmer SE3000
                      Coco Pearlite mix
                      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thanks for removing my post
                        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                        indoor/outdoor grower
                        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X