Seedlings and grow medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seedlings and grow medium

Newbie here. Once seedlings gain their taproot, can I place them in the grow medium? The Jiffy pellets I ordered will be here in a week. Sold out at big box stores. We purchased Roots Organics as our growth medium

It depends on how hot the soil is. I'm not familiar with how hot the soil you are using is so i cant give you an answer on that. Seedlings can be sensitive to being over fed early on so thats why it's recommended to use starter plugs. I do start seeds in my coco/perlite mix but it has no nutes (other than buffered with cal mag) and start feeding once i see it's first set of true leaves. If you had just coco/perlite mix i would start in a solo cup with that then when it has a good root system in the solo cup transplant to your Roots organic soil. Thats how i would do it if i wasnt sure on the soil and didnt want to risk a seed. You can definitely try it and it might be fine, but a big issue we see on here is seedlings in too hot of soil so i say all of this just as an fyi more than anything.

Comment

That’s what I do. I like 6oz styrofoam cups. Soon as the seed pops open I put it about 1/4” deep and sprinkle a little bit of soil on top. Sit it on a heating pad with a plastic baggie on top to keep the humidity in. Mist the soil with water a couple times a day until the sprout is above ground and healthy then remove the baggie.

Comment

Sounds like a great plan. May I suggest you cut away fabric from top and bottom of Jiffy after hydration and "fluff" up before placing seed.
        I find this allows the taproot unrestricted access. 2nd Pic is taproot day after sprout.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X