Moving a male plant into the flowering tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a male plant into the flowering tent

I have a space where I am attempting to flower three plants on a revolving basis so that I can harvest one plant every month and move a new one into its place. At some point, I would like to move a male into this space to make some seeds. But I don't want a ton of seeds cause I still want the harvest to be as potent as possible. I'm thinking maybe I could move a small male in there for a few weeks and then kill it. Maybe trim off most of the flowering sites on the male beforehand. I'm curious as to how seedy each female will be depending on which stage of flowering it is in when the male is moved in there with them. Will the one close to harvest produce the same amount of seeds as the female that is in early flowering? How long should I leave the male in there before I kill it? I'm also wondering if I could 'help' the fertilization process by cutting off a male flower and rubbing it on just a few female flowers at the appropriate time since I only want a few seeds. Any thoughts on this?

Yes I know what you mean. If you want little seeds you have to time the male to flower exactly when the pistils on the female are first appearing everywhere and in quantity. Like little crowns. This calyxes will end up deep inside the bud close to the branch and mostly on the bottom part of the bud if the bud keeps growing after pollination. I think during the 3rd Week but depends on the strain. Same with the male. So if you don’t know how long it takes the male you using to mature and throw pollen and you will have plants at different stages of flowering then I guess you just have to wing it the day you realize there is pollen. Take the plant, cut at the base and shake and rub of top of the buds Or colas you want to pollinate or if you really want very few seeds( less than 100) then remove the male carefully as soon as you see pollen on the male leaves. Believe me. Pollination already occurred. Seeds take 40 days to mature

Comment

• billy64boy
      billy64boy commented
      Editing a comment
      Can I assume that the plant in the latest stage of flowering will have seeds, just not as many as the plant 3 weeks into flowering? And they will be immature seeds that will not germinate since they haven't had 40 days to mature?

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, dont know how few but immature for sure

Why are you wanting seeds? You could have a mother plant or a couple mothers and have clones flowering at different stages all the time if that’s what you wanted.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      because some times shit goes sideways and plants die so seeds are a backup to start over any time

It doesn not take much pollen to make lots of seeds. Just take the girl you want to seed out of the tent get abit of pollen on a couple fingers and touch some buds. It only takes a few bananas from one Hermie to seed a room full of plants. If you put a flowering male in the tent you could guarantee yourself enough seeds to start a commercial operation. Been there still have pill bottles full of seeds. Probably 10 to 20 thousand on the conservative side. That was a male in a 4x4 area for a day to seed 6 plants that were 2 foot tall. The amount of air circulation has alot to do with it as well. Now I put a small amount of pollen in a paper bag and pass the bag over one stem or cola give it a small shake and gently remove the bag. Then I put and empty paper bag over the same cola and give another shake to remove excess and I end up with seeds only where I want. You can always save pollen for future use. It keeps well in the fridge if you remove any plant matter and keep in a sealed container.
    Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
    sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
    4 plants currently under 500w
    2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
    GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
    Happy growing/consuming 🥴
    Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

• billy64boy
      billy64boy commented
      Editing a comment
      How long will pollen live in a tent after the grow is over. The reason I want seeds is that I don't plan to flower another plant again for another year or two and I don't want to care for a mother plant for that long.

• Jordann
      Jordann commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had it seed a plant. Around 6 months after I had a herm I had the next batch of females get seeded

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X