Spider Mites (?) F40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider Mites (?) F40

I am really disappointed to learn that I have mites at around F40 in 3 different tents. I don't see webbing anywhere yet, but I am starting to see white flecks all over various leaves and did see some eggs and a couple black flecks (assuming these are mites) under some leaves. Can't find my camera right now.

I read the articles online and did some searching on here and see things like 50/50 ISO mix being recommended. Some folks say you can use certain products right until flush. Some folks recommend washing their buds after harvest. But personally, all of that sounds disgusting.

The only treatment option that seems reasonable to me is a predatory insect. Does anyone have experience using them in flower for what seems like a mild infestation at this point?

Or any other tips in terms of what I can use?

In 2 tents, I definitely caught things early as I can only see maybe 5-10 leaves with flecks. In the 2x4 I let it go too long (misdiagnosed as a nutrient problem) and I would say about 30% of leaves are showing signs of damage. Can't see any webs but expect they're in the 2x4 based on how much the infestation has progressed.

Would it help to cut off all the damaged leaves with eggs and mites under them?

I am going to go buy some dia someting earth and putting it on the medium so it cuts the little bastards up.

Anything else you can recommend?

Thanks
    Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

Spider mite predator mites search your plants for pest red spider mites and kill them. Once they destroy the plant pest mites, they leave, seeking more red spider mites.

But maybe read "The King, The Mice and the Cheese" before you start
    Last edited by MDR; 06-02-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for link. Sounds like the predatory mites (cats) will die after they eat the mice (spider mites) so I wont be left with a cat problem. What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200602_072712_resize_34.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	412226

Name:	20200602_070041_resize_23.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	785.5 KB
ID:	412227

Spider mites for sure?

Let it get so bad by misdiagnosing as nutrient issue. Lesson learned!
    Up next:

Comment

Ladybugs! I have used Captain Jacks Dead Bug, Spinosad, ISO, they all need to be done every 3 days without fail. After I got tired of trying to kill them, I sat the plants outside where the ladybugs tended them. In 3 days the new growth looked good, they are finishing now..

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear you got it under control in the end. Looks like i can get 1000 ladybugs for 40 CDN:

Order ladybugs, praying mantis, beneficial mites, nematodes, and more! Ships all over Canada.
        Last edited by ocgreen; 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Something that helped me, I turned loose 1500, my neighbor did also and both commercial grows turned loose large numbers of them. I'll add praying mantis this year!

Got a better photo

Name:	20200602_081047_resize_90.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	412263

Is this what they call "the borg"? 😔

Up next:

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes and after doing battle you will know why! I have read rosemary oil with water explodes the eggs, I have not tried it.

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Well... fuck. This was to be my last run until some planned renos take place during summer/clean start in fall. Not spraying or washing my buds so I guess I will see how the lady bugs do but most likely have to toss at least some of the plants.

They say it's impossible to get rid of in grow room. Well my plan was to install new vinyl plank flooring, paint, etc. Where all the tents are. And I always bleach wash my tents before taking them down.

Assuming I also meticulously disinfect all grow equipment and basically stop growing for a few months while I do renos... what see the chances they survive down there and I still have this damn problem in fall? I was going to keep a mother plant but now I think I will just toss the mom and start from seed again later

One last time....fucccck!

Recommended alcohol / water mix will kill a lot of them quick as a 1st treatment. Then I've had success with spinosad, azamax .don't go easy on them ,you'll regret it.

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep already feeling like a dumb ass that I ignored the little flecks for so long thinking it was nothing to worry about. Wrote out my plan below. Let me know if you have more suggestions

Alcohol water work but you have to apply it constantly. Some plants need to be discarded if too infested. Removing infested leaves will help a lot. Diatomaceous earth will do nothing against mites. Best predatory bugs are other bigger meaner mites, you can find them online but won’t ship overseas so you have to find a local source. The one thing I can tell you about mites from my experience is something in your environment has drawn them to your plants. Could be a certain strain, the humidity, overall poor health of the plant. What I mean is you can kill the mites you see and remove there infested plants. But you want to get your tents to the point before any mites showed up, so what could have changed?

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Dont be afraid to use the ISO on the buds and do it heavy! The ISO kills the adults on contact, and evaporates rapidly.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh because you said you may leave the tent open to get airflow, better to raise humidity for now, of course you gotta open to work on it beware alcohol dissolved trichomes

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha ok that makes sense😁

I've been fighting WPM for some time and the only way to totally clean ones tent is to take it all apart - clean everything - then put it back together.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Well luckily that was the plan after this run. And it'll be about 2 months before it gets 0it back together again so hopefully whatever eggs or bugs that survived the wash and tear down die during the off time

I have just battled whiteflies. They were leaving white spots on leaves. I’ve also noticed browning leaves that we’re chewed through. I think I stopped the infestation by spraying neem oil at night (outdoor grow) under the and on top of the leaves. The next day I sprayed water mixed with hydrogen peroxide in the same way. I also laid down a healthy dose of diatomaceous Earth when the soil is dry during the day- which is an ass kicker to anything with an exoskeleton. I’m getting new, healthy growth and my plant seems happier.

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you were able to turn it around 👍

If you were in veg I would recommend Lavender flower. Just foliage spray all leaves under and on top. The (camphor) in lavender melts the eggs. Like someone suggested rosemary is another good one once again the camphor. Not sure what it would do to your buds in flower so it’s up to you? Maybe take the worst plant out and spray it see what it does then do the others if it doesn’t ruin your buds? Ladybugs are a no no indoors. Check out the podcast on kisorganics about ladybugs (YouTube). Also since you already have leaf damage if you are going to use insects you have to get a lot to overwhelm the pest otherwise you’ll be wasting your money once again you can listen on kisorganics podcast on insects. The bug lady is a good one.

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks man. Started listening to the podcast and loving it so far. Going to pass on spraying buds with anything. Maybe it's weird but I feel more comfortable knowing I may smoke a tiny spider or two vs smoke some chem residue or whatever

Well guys the 4x4 was so much worse then i originally thought. But maybe something I can turn around. 3x3 had signs on maybe 5-10 leaves. Way less than I thought. 2x4 is basically fucked

I started out washing each leaf but that lasted maybe 10 min before I realized it would take hours. Then i just started clipping leaves off like crazy. Anything with flecks. Washed the stems in 50/50 iso/water. Left the buds alone. Turned off any extra lights. Added extra fans. Turned off dehumidifier.

18 days left to keep these aggressive little fuckers in line. Hoping i can at the very least continue to keep 3x3 in a good place. Buds in that particular tent are so fat I've used up all my yoyos. Would be a damn shame if I lost it.

As always appreciate everyone weighing in to help here. Started listening to kisorganics pod casts while i clipped and loving it

Up next:

Comment

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        hey ocgreen, not sure where your at, but most of our local garden stores have ladybugs in stock now.. Might be worth a call..turn 1000 loose in there for a week..lol I'm going to buy a praying mantis pod or two this week for outdoor plants. hope they hang around.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X