No announcement yet.

6 days old from seed seedling is a floppy, don't think it's a watering/ph issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! 6 days old from seed seedling is a floppy, don't think it's a watering/ph issue

Edit - I had a look just now after feeding them about 8 hours ago to see if that would perk them up. The other 2 are fine, but the droopy girl is now just... I think she's on her way out GWE please have a look and tell me if there's anything I can do! (Pics on latest post)

I think I'm going to put her to the side and leave her out of the bright lights, then don't water her for a day or so to see if it might be overwatering - although I'm not sure how that's possible in Coco, and the other 2 have been given the same feed.

Original post:

Hey everybody,
    I've been watching one of my seedlings for the past couple days as its leaves are a little droopy when compared to her siblings. They're in Coco coir.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200531_195743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.1 KB ID:	411732
    In this picture you can see a Bubba Kush on the back right and 2x Gelat.OGs at the front.

As you can see, the GOG on the right is very droopy as opposed to the left one with its leaves standing at attention and the BK with its leaves parallel to the ground.
    First of all: is this a problem? If not then we can probably stop right here.

If it IS a problem then here're some details:
    • I made a video over the course of yesterday and it seemed to perk up a little when I gave it water with nutes.
    • This one did seem to be a little droopy even from seed, but size is still pretty big.
    • When I mixed the nutes a few days ago I used 5ml/1.4ml/1.4ml Canna Rhizotonic/A/B with ph of around 6.2
    • Since that time I gave it a feeding at 6.5 (ph goes up as it sits there) and once today at 5.9.
    • They've been fed with this roughly 1/4 strength nute mix once a day for the last 3 days since they sprouted.
    • Both the GOGs have had some yellowing near the veins and serrated parts of the leaves - you can just about make this out on the right hand side GOG. However this could just as easily be immature growth - however the BK has been robustly dark green.
    Other thoughts:
    With the leaves of the perkier GOG pointing up and the edges curling I thought the lights might be too close. They're about 17-18' away - maybe I can bring it up to about 20', but the BK seems to be loving it so I don't want to move them up and risk stretching if I don't need to.

I'm finding it difficult to diagnose this so help would be appreciated - thanks GWE
    Last edited by 4202020; 06-01-2020, 12:48 AM. Reason: My girl got worse - please have a look at the pics below

I'm gonna assume your lights are yellow tinted & that they are a darker green in natural light so they look good to me. A plant will reach for the light or "pray" when you get the lights right. Miss Droop might be just outside the best spot under the footprint.
    I'm thrilled with these autos.

Comment

Originally posted by JDU View Post
      I'm gonna assume your lights are yellow tinted & that they are a darker green in natural light so they look good to me. A plant will reach for the light or "pray" when you get the lights right. Miss Droop might be just outside the best spot under the footprint.
      I'm thrilled with these autos.
      Hey those look awesome dude! Hope they deliver some potent meds to you.
      Here's what it looks like - a bit yellow, but seemingly healthy I think - what do you think, are they ok?
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200531_211027.jpg Views:	10 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	411753
      Last edited by 4202020; 06-01-2020, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks but the Sun gits all the credit. I wish my yard allowed for growing photos outdoors.
        The brown is probably a touch of nute burn- 6days is early to be feeding. I'm still using a spray bottle of cal mag ph'd water to water mine.

4202020 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey thanks for replying. Where would we be without the sun?

For coco there's a lot of conflicting information on how long to put off feeding. I started early as my coco didn't get buffered with nutes of any kind. Hope that's all it is though, I'll hold off on a feed for now

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I missed the part where you're in coco. I'm in soil & that's quite different. I'm sure some more knowledgeable growers who are familiar with coco will chime in. But they don't look like they're suffering in any way 👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200601_063834.jpg Views:	0 Size:	809.3 KB ID:	411890Click image for larger version  Name:	20200601_063842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	411891Click image for larger version  Name:	20200601_063846.jpg Views:	0 Size:	822.2 KB ID:	411892Click image for larger version  Name:	20200601_063853.jpg Views:	0 Size:	789.5 KB ID:	411893 Hey GWE, hoping someone could give me a hand with this. I fed them after making this post to see if that'd make any difference.

Well it did - my droopy girl got even droopier and I think she might die Here are some pics - can anyone help me diagnose this? Is it overwatering even though I'm growing in coco?

I was thinking to remove them from under the direct light off to a corner of the space and avoid watering for 48 hours to see if it perks back up in case it's overwatering but honestly I'm at a loss here and a bit worried.

Comment

Look overwatered.
        Yes dry them out but you can't put a clock on it. They will need a drink when they need a drink. Your clock makes no difference to them.

Comment

4202020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for replying JDU.
          I'll keep an eye on her and see what happens then.
          All that stuff I got told about coco + perlite being almost impossible to overwater... lol
          Hoping she'll come back but fully prepared to lose her - just didn't wanna so soon!

I dont know where you got it is impossible to over water coco. Whoever told you that didnt know what they were talking about. Now with the appropriate drainage (perlite between 30-40%) AND fabric pots it IS damn near impossible to over water, but in plastic, non breathing pots over watering is very real. ESPECIALLY as a seedling. All seedlings should be given minimal water. I use a spray bottle to moisten the rapid root but dont water it until it is planted and it has noticeable daily growth for a few days and it dries the container quickly.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah it’s more like you cannot overwater coco in one watering. But if you keep the coco too saturated for too long the plants will ran out of oxygen just like in soil

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh. So coco isn't so different from soil - just the ph & when to fertilize. Yay I learned something today! & it ain't even 10am yet!

4202020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys/gals

The plants need a bit of time left alone and you need to learn when to water the plant. It will take some practice but there are some things you can do. One thing is to lift the pots. Get used to the weight when is full of water and when it’s dry. Another thing is to understand what the plant is telling you. Right now it’s telling you it has more than enough water nothing to worry about. The plant will be fine

Comment

4202020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this!
          To be honest, I left it alone and it was perking up, then flopped again and it's been doing this for a day or so. I gave it a water this morning after roughly 48 hours and establishing that the coco was pretty dry but I gotta say... really not sure what's happening ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'll leave her alone for a bit longer this time but I'm not expecting Gianna (shouldn't have named them yet!!) to survive or be very productive. All learning for next one!

I'm gonna start a grow diary here - I think it'll help my first timer anxiety to put things in order and see that I've overcome problems. Also I really want a record of everything!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X