seedling stem shrivels and dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR seedling stem shrivels and dies

Healthy seedling stem shrivels and dies. Growing indoors under 400 watt MH in 3 gallon grow bags with coco coir with mosquito bits added; minimal nutes. Germinated in Root Riot cube with 9 others; planted all in coco up to the leafs; 3 died like this in 2 days; 9 did well and are growing. Reseeded 3 cubes and replanted in same grow bags; 2 died this way and 1 is doing fine. Going to change bags/ coco and see if that helps. It looks like something is sucking the stem dry or eating it. Have had this same problem in past grows and have not really identified the cause. I've been growing for about 4 years and never had this problem until the last few grows. Couldn't find any references in the forum.

looks like a bug or something damaged the delicate stem. nothing to worry just stuff that happens

Comment

I had a somewhat similar experience but with rockwool cubes. I bought a package of 1.5 cubes, 48 pcs. I started seeds and clones in them for years. I got a new package of 48 rockwool cubes. Suddenly I could not start anything. I got some Rapid-Rooter plugs. Now I can grow again. Have a great grow !!
      Focus and relativity.

Comment

You said you buried them up to the leaves so was the part that got chewed under or above coco? Reason is if it was below the coco then there is either something living in your coco (fungus gnat larvae for example) or something you are putting in the coco is damaging the plant. I dont know much about the mosquito bits and how they effect cannabis or even if they do, but was just a thought and maybe someone else can weigh in on that. Oh and also possible root rot in that particular location which is weird but theoretically possible if buried in poor draining, over watered coco mix.

If it was above the coco then i would say it almost has to be some pest.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys but I did some more research and I think I found the problem. This looks exactly like my dying seedlings. Damping Off disease appears to be the culprit.

Comment

• Tersky
            Tersky commented
            Editing a comment
            ah..that actualy slipped my mind which it shouldnt have, as i had a dampening off happen with a few strawberry plants last year. It really does look exactly like it. Good catch!

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep that sure is dampening off, I've had that also.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s usually pythium or fusarium. You need trichoderma harzarius for that. But I don’t think it’s that. That happens at the soil level in the branch. Your se is clearly a trauma

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X